Workmen are ready to assist in almost any kind of work. They usually wear a cap, a blue coat with a white shirt and black tie, over which overalls are worn.
They are usually found around, but not limited to:
- Goods yards and depots
- Any maintenance work or project
- Sodor Steamworks
- Sodor Dieselworks
- Quarries and Mines
- Sodor Search and Rescue Center
- Whiff's Waste Dump
In theory, what the workmen wear would be considered unsafe by modern standards. For example no hardhats, safety vests, or eye protection. Since years are never said, there is no definite error, though there is a good chance of it. The possible reason for it being correct is that the TV series is set before the 1970s. However, some episodes show quarry workmen and miners wearing hardhats and, since the CGI switch-over hardhats and eye protection have been more present.
The Dock Manager:
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- William Hope (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Helge Winther Larsen (Norway; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Óscar Bonfiglio (Mexico; seventeenth season onwards)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Merry Winter Wish, Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Shigenori Sōya and Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; Henry's Hero)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Santa's Little Engine, The Frozen Turntable (also in US) and Duck in the Water)
- Kerry Shale (US: Santa's Little Engine)
- Several workmen are currently on display at Drayton Manor.