Workmen are minor characters in the Television Series, but play an important role in the functioning of the Island of Sodor. They are always ready to assist in almost any kind of work and are found in almost any part of the Island of Sodor. They usually wear a cap, sometimes a flat cap, a blue coat with a white shirt and black tie, over which overalls are worn.
They are usually found around, but are not limited to:
- Goods yards and depots
- Any maintenance work or project
- Sodor Steamworks
- Sodor Dieselworks
- Quarries and Mines
- Sodor Search and Rescue Centre
- Whiff's Waste Dump
- Brendam Docks
- Ulfstead Castle
- Crocks Scrap Yard
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Merry Winter Wish, Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Bob Golding (UK/US; Tale of the Brave)
- Shigenori Sōya and Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; Henry's Hero)
- Hideyuki Kanaya (Japan; Flatbeds of Fear)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Signals Crossed)
- Kerry Shale (US; Signals Crossed)
- Hideyuki Umezu (Japan; Signals Crossed)
- Tokuyoshi Kawashima (Japan; Signals Crossed)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Santa's Little Engine, The Frozen Turntable (also in US) and Duck in the Water)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK/US; Duncan and the Grumpy Passenger)
- Kerry Shale (US; Santa's Little Engine and Marion and the Pipe)
- Óscar Flores (Mexico; The Frozen Turntable)
- Gheo Benjoino (Brazil; Duck in the Water)
- Hamilton Fernandes (Brazil)
- Several workmen are currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- What the workmen wear would be considered unsafe by modern standards. For example they do not wear hardhats, safety vests, or eye protection. This is because the TV series is set before the 1970s. However, some episodes show quarry workmen and miners wearing hardhats and, since the CGI switch-over hardhats and eye protection have been more present.
- A "Pack scale" workman (along with two heads) was preserved to fellow Thomas fans Christopher Blower and Owen Hayward.