Workmen are ready to assist in almost any kind of work. They usually wear a cap, a blue coat with a white shirt and black tie, over which overalls are worn.
They are usually found around, but not limited to:
- Goods yards and depots
- Any maintenance work or project
- Sodor Steamworks
- Sodor Dieselworks
- Brendam Docks
In theory, what the workmen wear would be considered unsafe by modern standards. For example no hardhats, safety vests, or eye protection. Since years are never said, there is no definite error, though there is a good chance of it. The possible reason for it being correct is that the TV series is set before the 1970s. However, some episodes show quarry workmen and miners wearing hardhats and, since the CGI switch-over hardhats and eye protection have been more present.
- Several workmen are currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- The following workmen have had speaking roles while their voice actors remain unknown:
- The dockyard manager who speaks in Misty Island Rescue and the sixteenth season episode, Bust My Buffers! In the latter, he was voiced by Matt Wilkinson in the UK narration.
- A dockyard worker who has a small speaking role in the fourteenth season episode, Merry Winter Wish. In the UK narration, he was voiced by Matt Wilkinson.
- A group of railworkers who speak in the fifteenth season episode Gordon and Ferdinand where they cheer and say "hello" to Ferdinand.
- Several during the course of Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery, in the latter they are voiced by Matt Wilkinson in the UK narration.