Wood is a Thomas & Friends merchandise line that consists of wooden models, tracks and accessories and is a railway system created by Mattel and released in autumn 2017 and worldwide in 2018. The line is a successor to the Wooden Railway line, having vehicles with visible wood and heat transfer decals. The line is compatible with Wooden Railway and other brands, but the track system features new connectors (possibly to end compatibility with other brands). Track adaptors are included with sets and destinations in order to connect with Wooden Railway and similar track from other brands. The summer 2018 range was cancelled in preparation of a reworking for the line in 2019, with the models being fully painted once more.
Product History, Design and Make
When the line launched, all the characters had smaller revamped bodies, showing wood sections with heat transfer decals instead of paint, with additional detail but lacking physical domes. Buffers and buffer beams were also included being applied with the same heat transfer decals. New face and smoke box sculpts were also created with characters now having white dots in their eyes. Engines were all about the same length with four or six wheels.
Due to many complaints by both fans and parents alike, it caused all the characters from 2019 onwards to be fully painted with additional detail, but keeping the rest of the 2017/2018 changes.
- Yong Bao
- Diesel 10
- Flying Scotsman (cancelled)
- Ferdinand (cancelled)
- Connor (cancelled)
- Gator (cancelled)
- Beau (cancelled)
- Frankie (cancelled)
- Etienne (cancelled)
- Flying Scotsman (coming soon)
- Ferdinand (coming soon)
- Connor (coming soon)
- Gator (coming soon)
- Rajiv (coming soon)
- Nia (coming soon)
- Beau (coming soon)
- Rebecca (coming soon)
- Traveling Sir Topham Hatt
- Rocky (cancelled)
- Pop-Up Pastry Cars (cancelled)
- Rocky (coming soon)
- Water Tanker Belle (cancelled)
- Holiday Cookie Delivery (cancelled)
- Water Tanker Belle (coming soon)
- Holiday Cookie Delivery (coming soon)
- Jousting Deluxe Multipack (coming soon)
Buildings and Destinations
- Get Well Hospital (cancelled)
- Tidmouth Sheds (coming soon)
- Get Well Hospital (coming soon)
- Eco Rescue Firehouse (coming soon)
- Straights and Curves Track Pack
- Expansion Track Pack
- Bridge Track Pack
- Animal Park Set
- 5-in-1 Builder Set
- Snowy Rails Set
- Lift and Load Cargo Set
- Racing Figure 8 Set
- Family Farm Set (cancelled)
- Castle Tower Set (cancelled)
- Deluxe Eco Rescue Set (cancelled)
- Around the Park Set
- Busy Island Set (coming soon)
- Deluxe Eco Rescue Set (coming soon)
- Family Farm Set (coming soon)
- Celebration Set (coming soon)
- The logo for the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is displayed on the lower-right corner of the boxes.
- Characters with the exposed wood had their names stamped on the bottom instead of being painted on.
- The majority of the summer 2018 wave was cancelled for a preparation of the line’s 2019 reworking, with many of the models being delayed until spring of 2019.
- 2019 will retain the heat transfer decals, but instead have them on painted wood instead of bare wood.
- Rosie is in her red livery in this line as with TrackMaster Push Along
- Nia's final model has red wheels as opposed to her prototype's screen accurate orange wheels.
- Unlike Wooden Railway and the Brio Thomas range, which used static wooden figurines, Wood features plastic figures with poseable legs, allowing them to sit in various vehicles and rolling stock. These figurines use a similar design to those used in Brio sets.