Wilfred was built at the Swiss Locomotive and Machine Works in Winterthur, Switzerland, in 1895. In 1900, he arrived on Sodor during the opening of the Culdee Fell Railway.
When Culdee returned from an overhaul, Ernest and Wilfred informed him about changes that happened to the railway. Later, Wilfred and his coach were later delayed at the Summit after Lord Harry derailed at the points. Culdee and Wilfred teased him for being a "wreck".
Wilfred is a kind old mountain engine. A hard worker, he is very cautious and gets upset at the carelessness of the other engines. He is known as the musical engine by the other mountain engines because he loves to whistle as he ascends and descends the steep hills.
Wilfred is painted purple with orange lining. His number is painted on in yellow and he has red nameplates.
- "Wilfred," Culdee called. "Who is this wreck?!"
- "It's Lord Harry, didn't you know?"
- "It looks like Old Harry, its fat as Old Harry. But of course, it can't be Old Harry."
- "Why ever not?"
- "You see Old Harry's an up-to date engine. He can go twice our speed in perfect safety!"
- Wilfred and Culdee mocking Lord Harry, "Danger Points", "Mountain Engines".
- "Its important work!" protested Wilfred. "And tough too!"
- "Tough? That little lot?!"
- "Yes, tough!" said Culdee. "Have you ever been across Devil's Back, in a gale?!"
- "No," said No. 6 thoughtfully. "But I see what you mean."
- Wilfred and Culdee lecture No. 6, "Devil's Back", "Mountain Engines".
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
|Culdee Fell Railway|
|Godred • Ernest • Wilfred • Culdee • Shane Dooiney • Lord Harry/6/Patrick • Alaric • Eric|