There are many different types of vans (also sometimes referred too as box vans) on Sodor, which are used to carry various kinds of goods. In the US, they are known as boxcars. Brake vans are other types of vans that are used for carrying the guard.
Vans are mostly utilised for the transportation of food, as food cannot be exposed to the outside world. Special vans have been designed by the salt companies to carry salt. Percy once had to deliver vans of sugar, but on his way to the chocolate factory, he slipped on an oily track and crashed into the factory's wall. Arthur once had to take some vans of fruit and veggies, but he sped down Gordon's Hill a bit too fast, causing the vans to be destroyed and the fruit and veggies to fly everywhere. Since the eight season, Vans have been known to carry other things, like fireworks equipment. Thomas once had to take some vans filled with ice cream. The Flying Kipper is made up of different vans.
Vans have had many basis, but the most common one is the BR 12 ton single vent goods vans with corrugated ends. In the CGI Series the all the vans were BR 12 ton vans, they were later given more types of basis in the twentieth season. The salt vans are based on the 10 ton Saxa Salt vans.
- Elsie is the only known van that is named. Vans which are privately owned tend to take the name of their owner, like U.L.P.
- Since the eighth season, all the vans were faceless. They regained faces in the twentieth season.
- Wooden Railway
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- Bachmann (normal and large scale)
- Tomix Trains (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail
- Bandai (discontinued)
- Waku Waku
Ice Cream Vans:
Ice Cream Vans: