|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the magazine story'.|
- “Help! I'm goin' tae fall!”
Trusty Rusty is the twenty-fifth episode of the seventh season.
When Rusty crosses a wooden bridge, he hits a bump and his driver inspects the bridge and realizes it is in early stages of collapsing. Rusty, realising that it may soon be dangerous to cross, immediately hurries off to warn the engines. He arrives at the depot where all the engines are getting their coal and warns them about the bridge, but Duncan is skeptical and asks how Rusty would know, saying he is only a diesel. He puffs away and refuses to be filled with coal. Rusty tells the Fat Controller about the bridge and he agrees to send engineers to inspect it. The engines have to travel a different route after Rusty's driver puts up a sign reading "Line Closed."
Meanwhile, Duncan is planning on getting more coal for the journey home, but the coal staithe is empty, so he asks Skarloey where he could go to the nearest staithe. Skarloey tells him it is on the other side of the wooden bridge and warns Duncan not to cross it, but Duncan ignores his warnings and he and his driver decide to face the risks. When Duncan arrives at the junction, his driver removes the Warning sign and they puff towards the bridge. Not knowing it is a mistake, Duncan runs out of steam (via using the remainder of his coal) and stops on the bridge. The bridge then suddenly starts to crumble from Duncan's weight. Rusty hears the news from Skarloey and races off to rescue Duncan. Rusty pulls Duncan off the bridge, just in time after the bridge finally collapses.
That evening, the Fat Controller scolds Duncan for his irresponsibility and disobedience. Duncan thanks Rusty for saving him and being brave and the Fat Controller praises him as a Really Useful Engine.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Peter Sam (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Stepney (stock footage cameo)
- The Old Wooden Bridge
- Sodor Castle
- Skarloey Railway Depot
- Tea Room Station
- Trestle Bridge
- Stepney's Branch Line (stock footage)
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-second episode of the seventh season.
- Stock footage from Stepney Gets Lost is used, which also was a deleted scene from Rusty to the Rescue.
- In the US version, Rusty says, "Don't use the old wooden bridge - it's dangerous!" twice; first when he warns the other engines not to cross, and again when he rescues Duncan. He only says the phrase once in the UK narration which is when he warns the other engines not to cross it.
- This episode marks the last of a few things:
- If stock footage counts, this would be the last appearance of Stepney until the twelfth season episode Rosie's Funfair Special. If stock footage doesn't count, then Stepney's actual last appearance would be in the sixth season episode, Edward the Very Useful Engine.
- The last episode to feature Sir Topham Hatt as controller of the Skarloey Railway.
- The last appearance of the Narrow Gauge Engines in the Gullane era.
- When Duncan arrives at the coal staithe, Skarloey already looks shocked even before the former headed for the bridge.
- When Rusty races to the rescue, the scene is mirrored because viewers can see that his number and name are reversed.
- When Rusty pulls Duncan clear of the bridge, it suddenly jerks downwards slightly as it begins to fall; this is due to a film cut.
- Wires can be seen under Duncan when the narrator says, "A beam snapped." The wires are also seen when he is about to fall, and when Rusty pulls him clear.
- The narrator says, "Rusty chuffed bravely onto the bridge," but Rusty is a diesel.
- When Rusty moves closer to Duncan on the bridge, studio equipment is seen sliding out behind the cliffs behind Rusty on the right hand side of the screen and again when the narrator says "soon they were coupled up."
- When Duncan runs out of steam on the bridge, the narrator says he used up all his coal but coal can still be seen in his bunkers.
- Because stock footage is used, Rusty is in his small scale model in the first cut.
In Other Languages
|Danish||Rusty slår alarm|
|Hungarian||Rusty a Bátor Mozdony|
|Korean||책임감 강한 러스티|
|Romanian||Rusty cel de Încredere|
|Swedish||Lita på Rusty|
|Welsh||Y Bont Beryglus|
Home Media Releases