|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story.|
|Train Stops Play|
Reverend W. Awdry
Stepney is enjoying his visit to the North Western Railway, and offers to help Percy with his goods trains. After delivering loaded trucks to the harbour, Stepney goes past a cricket field with some "empties" when a batter hits a "six" and their only ball lands in a truck. Stepney does not realise and, when his driver sees Caroline chasing after them with the desperate cricketers inside, he mistakes them for joyriders and speeds up, much to Caroline's annoyance as she easily overheats when travelling at full speed. At last after being forced over a hill, Caroline arrives at the station and the men get their ball back, but Stepney's driver notes Caroline looks exhausted and suggests that she be rolled onto a flatbed so she can rest during the return journey. The cricketers ride back in a brakevan and Stepney and his crew watch the end of the game.
- The Elsbridge Cricket Club
- Thomas (does not speak)
- Toby (does not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Duck (cameo)
- Donald (cameo)
- Bulgy (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- The Vicar of Wellsworth (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Bulgy's Bridge
- Knapford Harbour
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Shunting Yards
- Elsbridge Cricket Field
- Road Beside Rail and Canal Runby
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine.
- Edited scenes are used in The Red Balloon song. One shot superimposes the red balloon above the cricket field, and another shows the cricketers smiling.
- After Percy arrives with his trucks, his roof is lifted.
- Studio equipment is visible in the shots of the cricket field.
- Stepney has Rheneas' whistle sound.
- At Knapford Harbour, Henry and James' eyes are wonky.
- One of Percy's lamp irons is crooked.
- When the narrator says "She doesn't think trains are silly now", paint chips are visible in Stepney's running board.
- At the beginning of the episode, Duck and Donald are behind Thomas, Stepney, Percy, and Toby, but a few scenes later, some trucks and a green express coach have taken their places.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||No Detengan el Juego||Do Not Stop the Game|
|Danish||Toget standser spillet||Train Stops the Game|
|Finnish||Pallo Pelistä Pois||Ball Game Off|
|Welsh||Dim Pêl - Dim Gêm||No Ball - No Game|
|German||Ohne Ball kein Spiel||No Play Without Ball|
|Norwegian||Tog stanser spillet||Train Stops Play|
|Dutch||Trein Vangsten Bal||Train Catches Ball|
|Italian||Partita interrotta||Interrupted Game|
|Czech||Vlak, který zastavil zápas||Train which stopped match|
|Russian||Поезда перестают играть||Train Stops Playing|
|Hungarian||A félbeszakadt krikettjáték||The Interrupted Cricket Game|