|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Philippine DVD or the magazine story.|
Toby's Discovery is the fourteenth episode of the fifth season.
The young Hatts make a sandcastle modelled on one in the heart of Sodor, and the intrigued Fat Controller asks Toby to take him to find it. Toby finds the castle, and then visits a run-down mine located on the same map as the castle. The mines are re-opened, but Toby is spooked by Thomas' tale of the "Old Warrior" who hunts in the mines during the night. Toby is horrified to be put on guard duty at the mines, and meets the "Old Warrior", but discovers that the ghost is really a narrow gauge engine named Bertram.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt
- Bridget Hatt
- Bertram (does not speak)
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Skarloey (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Caroline (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- The Fishing Village
- The Sodor Inn
- Norramby Church Station
- Tidmouth Bay
- Bertram's Old Mine
- Arlesdale End
- Toby's Branch Line
- Toad's scrap model from Escape and rusty models of Thomas and James can be seen at the mine.
- Duke's old shed is seen next to Bertram when he is discovered.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial issues forced the model crew to repaint Duke's model and use Smudger's face.
- This episode marks the first and only appearance of Bertram to date.
- When Toby is at the fishing village, Henrietta's roof is lifted up.
- At the end of Toby's first-person view travelling along, the rails stop at a dead end.
- The signalman's appearance changes between the time Toby first meets him and the time Toby finds Bertram.
- The old map shows that the way to get to the castle and the mine beyond the signal box is to take the right track at the junction, but Toby takes the left track at that junction.
- When Toby stops at the junction, some of his steam disappears, indicating a film cut.
- In the scenes where the mine is reopened, the track Rheneas is on has no buffers.
- When Toby comes to the junction, the lever to the points only appears when the fireman switches them.
- When the Fat Controller says "We'll go check castle first", his close up outside the signal box is used again.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||El Descubrimiento de Toby||Toby's Discovery|
|German||Toby und der alte Krieger||Toby and the Old Warrior|
|Welsh||Hen Injan Fach||Little Old Engine|
|Norwegian||Tobys oppdagelse||Toby's Discovery|
|Hungarian||Toby a felfedező||Toby the Explorer|
|Italian||La Scoperta di Toby||Toby's Discovery|
|Slovenian||Tobijevo odkritje||Toby's Discovery|
|Swedish||Tobys upptäckt||Toby's Discovery|
|Russian||Открытие Тоби||Opening Toby|
Home Media Releases