|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Philippine DVD.|
October 9th, 1998
Toby's Discovery is the fourteenth episode of the fifth season.
The young Hatts make a sandcastle modeled on one in the heart of Sodor, and the intrigued Fat Controller asks Toby to take him to find it. Toby finds the castle, and then visits a run-down mine located on the same map as the castle. The mines are re-opened, but Toby is spooked by Thomas' tale of the "Old Warrior" who hunts in the mines during the night. Toby is horrified to be put on guard duty at the mines and meets the "Old Warrior", but discovers the ghost is really a narrow gauge engine named Bertram.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt
- Bridget Hatt
- Bertram (does not speak)
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Skarloey (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Caroline (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- The old castle is now referred to as the Scottish castle.
- Toad's scrap model from Escape and rusty models of Thomas and James are seen at the mine.
- Duke's old shed is seen next to Bertram when he is discovered.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial issues forced the model crew to repaint Duke's model and use Smudger's face.
- In the British narration, the narrator says, "'Toot toot! Goodbye!' Thomas replied," but in the American narration, the narrator only says, "Toot toot! Goodbye!"
- In the American narration, the line "It will be a great adventure" is omitted.
- In the British narration, the narrator says "Bertram and Toby are now firm friends," whereas in the American narration, the narrator says "Bertram and Toby are now friends."
- In Germany, this episode is called "Toby and the Old Warrior". The Italian title is "The Discovery of Toby". In Japan, this episode is called "Exploration of Toby".
- This episode marks the first and only appearance of Bertram.
- Michael Angelis says "'We're trying to find an old castle,' replied the Fat Controller," but Alec Baldwin only says "We're trying to find an old castle."
- Michael Angelis has "until" shortened on when Toby is said to come to another little junction, while Alec Baldwin doesn't.
- Michael Angelis says "There, they saw two old signs. One read 'To the castle', and the other 'To the mine'," while Alec Baldwin says "There, they saw two signs saying 'To the castle' and 'To the mine'." Also, in the British narration, the Fat Controller doesn't say "the" when saying that they will go to the castle first.
- In the US, Toby shudders when saying "Yes, sir" about doing hard work on the castle and mine, while not in the UK.
- While Michael Angelis says "...he said to himself," Alec Baldwin says "...he thought."
- The lines "Everything seemed rather spooky" and "Quite suddenly, he heard a strange wheeshing sound" are said sooner in the UK narration than in the US narration.
- In the UK, Toby says "he" when asking if the "Old Warrior" can wait until the morning. In the US, he says "it".
- In the US, "splendid" is omitted in the UK's line "They take the visitors to the splendid castle and the mine."
- When Toby is at the fishing village, Henrietta's roof is lifted up.
- When Toby stops at the signalbox, Toby and Oliver's themes are heard playing at the same time.
- At the end of Toby's first-person view traveling along, the rails stop at a dead end.
- As Thomas reverses into the mine, a bug crawls across the sandy spot to his right.
- The signalman's appearance changes between the time Toby first meets him and the time Toby finds Bertram.
- The old map shows that to get to the castle and the mine beyond the signalbox is to take the right track at the junction, but Toby takes the left track at that junction!
- When Toby stops at the junction, some of his steam disappears, indicating a film cut.