|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Philippine DVD or the magazine story.|
Toby's Discovery is the fourteenth episode of the fifth season.
The young Hatts make a sandcastle modelled on a castle in the heart of Sodor and the intrigued Fat Controller asks Toby to take him to find it. Toby finds a split junction, with one track leading to the castle and the other to the mine. They visit the castle first and then the run-down mine. The mines are re-opened, but Toby is spooked by Thomas' tale of the "Old Warrior," who haunts the mines during the night. Toby is horrified to be put on guard duty at the mines and meets the "Old Warrior," but discovers that the ghost is really a narrow gauge engine named Bertram. The two become friends and when the mine and the castle re-open, Bertram is brought back to working order and both engines bring visitors to both locations.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt
- Bridget Hatt
- Bertram (does not speak)
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Skarloey (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Caroline (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Fishing Village
- The Sodor Inn
- Norramby Church Station
- Tidmouth Bay
- Bertram's Old Mine
- Toby's Shed
- Toby's Branch Line
- Toad's scrap model from the third season episode Escape and rusty models of Thomas and James can be seen at the mine.
- Duke's old shed is seen next to Bertram when he is discovered.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial issues forced the model crew to repaint Duke's model and use Smudger's face.
- Various models of previous models of Thomas can be seen at Bertram's mine.
- This episode marks the first and only appearance of Bertram to date.
- The map of Sodor appears to actually be a map of North Wales.
- Perhaps coincidentally, the real-world Ffestiniog and Welsh Highlighland Railways split at the town of Porthmadog. The FR goes to "the mine" at Blaenau Ffestiniog, while the WHR goes to "the castle" in Caernarfon.
- When Toby is at the fishing village, Henrietta's roof is lifted up.
- At the end of Toby's first-person view travelling along, the rails stop at a dead end.
- The signalman's appearance changes between the time Toby first meets him and the time Toby finds Bertram.
- The old map shows that the way to get to the castle and the mine beyond the signal box is to take the right track at the junction, but Toby takes the left track at that junction.
- When Toby stops at the junction, some of his steam disappears, indicating a film cut.
- In the scenes where the mine is reopened, the track Rheneas is on has no buffers.
- It looks like Trevor is asleep at the mine's reopening.
- When Toby comes to the junction, the lever to the points only appears when the fireman switches them.
- When the Fat Controller says "We'll go check castle first," his close-up outside the signal box is used again.
- When the narrator says "His name's really Bertram" and "Bertram and Toby", Bertram's tubes are missing.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||El Descubrimiento de Toby||Toby's Discovery|
|German||Toby und der alte Krieger||Toby and the Old Warrior|
|Welsh||Hen Injan Fach||Little Old Engine|
|Norwegian||Tobys oppdagelse||Toby's Discovery|
|Dutch||Toby's ontdekking||Toby's Discovery|
|Hungarian||Toby a felfedező||Toby the Explorer|
|Italian||La Scoperta di Toby||Toby's Discovery|
|Korean||용감한 전사||Brave Warrior|
|Slovenian||Tobijevo odkritje||Toby's Discovery|
|Swedish||Tobys Upptäckt||Toby's Discovery|
|Russian||Открытие Тоби||Opening Toby|
|Romanian||Descoperirea lui Toby||Toby's Discovery|
|Danish||Med Toby på Oppdagelse||With Toby on Discovery|
|Greek||Η ανακάλυψη του Τόμπι||Toby's Discovery|
|Slovak||Tobyho objav||Toby's Discovery|
|Polish||Odkrycie Tobika||Toby's Discovery|
Home Media Releases