This is a timeline chronicling major events of the Railway Series.
- Plateway from Ward Fell to Balladwail is closed and torn up.
- The Sodor and Mainland Railway is built.
- Skarloey arrives on Sodor.
- Rheneas is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Dolgoch is built.
- Skarloey has trailing wheels added to improve stability, and has a cab installed.
- Stepney is built.
- Godred arrives on Sodor.
- Ernest arrives on Sodor.
- Culdee arrives on Sodor.
- Shane Dooiney arrives on Sodor.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is opened.
- Godred is scrapped after a fall.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is re-opened after receiving further maintainance following the events of Godred's death.
- City of Truro is built
- City of Truro becomes the first engine to reach 100mph.
- The Reverend W. Awdry is born.
- Stepney is rebuilt.
- The North Western Railway is formed from the Sodor and Mainland, the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Light and the Wellsworth and Suddery railways.
- Sir Topham Hatt II is born.
- Thomas arrives on Sodor.
- The Ballahoo tunnel is built.
- The workshops at Crovan's Gate are established.
- The Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch is built.
- The Peel Godred electric engines arrive on Sodor.
- Edward arrives on Sodor.
- Edward is rebuilt.
- Gordon arrives on Sodor.
- Flying Scotsman is built.
- Henry arrives on Sodor.
- The red engine arrives on Sodor.
- 98462 and 87546 arrive on Sodor and are shortly sent packing.
- A second bore is cut for the Ballahoo tunnel after Henry stops in the original.
- James arrives on Sodor and is overhauled.
- Thomas is given his branch line.
- The Reverend Teddy Boston is born.
- Green Arrow is built.
- Gordon is rebuilt.
- Christopher Awdry is born.
- Stephen Topham Hatt is born.
- Bridget Amanda Hatt is born.
- The Mid Sodor Railway and the Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branches are closed.
- Duke is sheeted and abandoned in a shed.
- Falcon and Stuart are purchased by the aluminium works at Peel Godred for an expansion project.
- The North Western Railway becomes officially known as the "North Western Region of British Railways".
- Bertie arrives on Sodor.
- Terence arrives on Sodor.
- Henry, Gordon, and James go on strike.
- Percy arrives on Sodor.
- Henry is overhauled.
- Rheneas is overhauled.
- Falcon and Stuart are sheeted.
- Henry is rebuilt into an LMS Stanier Class 5 following his crash.
- Toby's tramway closes down.
- Toby arrives on Sodor.
- Stuart and Falcon are purchased by the Skarloey Railway and renamed "Peter Sam" and "Sir Handel" respectively.
- Skarloey is overhauled
- Cora is purchased for the Skarloey Railway.
- Trevor is purchased by the Vicar.
- Edward is overhauled.
- Sir Topham Hatt I dies.
- Rusty arrives on Sodor.
- Duncan arrives on Sodor.
- Skarloey returns from being mended.
- BBC producers make a documentary about the Skarloey Railway.
- Donald and Douglas arrive on Sodor.
- The spiteful breakvan is crushed by Douglas.
- Daisy arrives on Sodor.
- The Peel Godred EMUs arrive on Sodor.
- Mavis arrives on Sodor.
- Rheneas returns to the Skarloey Railway.
- Lord Harry arrives on Sodor.
- Alaric arrives on Sodor.
- Eric arrives on Sodor.
- Stepney visits Sodor.
- The Diesel visits Sodor.
- The Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch is re-opened, to be serviced by Duck.
- Culdee returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- Lord Harry is renamed "Patrick".
- Shane Dooiney returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- The one-hundredth anniversary of the Skarloey Railway is celebrated.
- BoCo arrives on Sodor.
- Bill and Ben arrive on Sodor.
- Bert, Mike and Rex arrive on Sodor to service the Arlesdale Railway.
- Reverend W. Awdry and Reverend Teddy Boston visit Sodor.
- 7101 arrives on Sodor.
- Flying Scotsman visits Sodor.
- 199 arrives on Sodor along with 7101, and is sent back after he fails on the level crossing.
- 7101 is renamed "Bear" and renumbered D3.
- Oliver, Isabel and Toad are rescued by Douglas and arrive on Sodor.
- Dulcie, Alice and Mirabel are saved from scrap for service with Oliver and Duck.
- S. C. Ruffey is scrapped.
- Bulgy arrives on Sodor.
- Duke is discovered by Fergus Duncan, the Reverend W. Awdry and the Reverend Teddy Boston.
- Jock is built.
- Bert is rebuilt with a larger boiler.
- Thomas is overhauled.
- Annie and Clarabel are rebuilt.
- Blister I and Blister II arrive on Sodor.
- Mavis is involved in a collision with a lorry.
- Bulstrode is turned into a children's playground on a beach.
- After Privatisation, the name "North Western Railway" becomes official.
- Thomas is invited to a railway show in York.
- Frank is re-engined.
- Henry is overhauled.
- Wilbert visits Sodor.
- Barry is rescued and arrives on Sodor.
- The Golden Jubilee of the Railway Series is celebrated.
- Ivo Hugh is built.
- The Reverend W. Awdry dies.
- Sir Topham Hatt II dies.
- The manager of Anopha Quarry is visited by the police after Henrietta is booked for allowing workmen to ride on her balconies.
- Victoria is returned to service.
- Stepney, Bluebell, and Captain Baxter's overhauls are completed, and the Bluebell Railway celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- The Railway Series celebrates its sixty-fifth anniversary.
- Wilbert is scheduled to be back in service after a major overhaul.
- Pip and Emma are purchased by the North Western Railway.
- The North Western Railway celebrates the Reverend W. Awdry's 100th birthday.