This is a timeline chronicling major events of the Railway Series.
- Plateway from Ward Fell to Balladwail is closed and torn up.
- John Arnold Norramby is born.
- Stephenson's Rocket is built.
- The Sodor and Mainland Railway is built.
- Henry John Norramby is born.
- Skarloey arrives on Sodor for the opening of the Skarloey Railway.
- Rheneas is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Agnes, Ruth, Lucy, Jemima and Beatrice are built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Dolgoch is built.
- Skarloey has trailing wheels added to improve stability, and has a cab installed.
- The Wellsworth-Suddery Railway is opened.
- The people of Peel Godred planned for a railway to be built.
- The Mid Sodor Railway Company is formed.
- Duke is built.
- Duke is shipped to Sodor.
- The Mid Sodor Railway is opened.
- Sir Topham Hatt I is born.
- Boxhill is built.
- Robert Sam, father of Mr. Peter Sam is born.
- Charles Henry is born.
- Henrietta is built.
- Frederick Regaby dies; Albert Regaby succeeds his Baronet.
- Falcon is built.
- John Arnold Norramby dies.
- Bert is built.
- Edward is built.
- Construction on the Culdee Fell Railway begins.
- Donald and Douglas are built.
- Godred, Ernest, Wilfred, Culdee and Shane Dooiney are built and arrive on Sodor.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is opened.
- Godred is scrapped after a fall.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is re-opened after receiving further maintenance following the events of Godred's accident.
- Sir Topham Hatt comes to Sodor.
- City of Truro becomes the first engine to reach 100mph.
- Falcon arrives on Sodor.
- The Refreshment Lady is born.
- The Reverend W. Awdry is born.
- Barbara Jane, daughter of Sir Topham Hatt, is born.
- Stepney is rebuilt.
- The North Western Railway is formed from the Sodor and Mainland, the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Light and the Wellsworth and Suddery Railways.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt is born.
- Toby is built.
- World War I begins.
- The North Western Railway is built.
- Albert Regaby becomes chairman of the North Western Railway.
- Thomas arrives on Sodor.
- Edward arrives on Sodor.
- The Ballahoo tunnel is built.
- The workshops at Crovan's Gate are established.
- The NWR's Motive Power Depot and Administrative Headquarters at Vicarstown are built.
- The bridge over the Walney Channel is built.
- Mr. Peter Sam is born.
- Henry John Norramby dies.
- Kevin Volley joins the North Western Railway as a lad/porter at Knapford.
- The Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch is built.
- Stanley is built.
- Robert Charles is born.
- World War I ends.
- Henry is built.
- Stuart is built, for work on the Mid Sodor Railway.
- The Vicar of Wellsworth, Charles Laxey is born.
- Sir Handel Brown marries Dorothy Lloyd.
- Edward is officially sold to the North Western Railway.
- Mr. Ivo Hugh is born.
- Kevin Volley is promoted to porter.
- Gordon is built.
- Henry arrives on Sodor.
- 98462 and 87546 arrive on Sodor and are shortly sent packing.
- A second bore is cut for the Ballahoo tunnel after Henry stops in the original.
- Flying Scotsman is built.
- The Peel Godred Power Company and the NWR planned to build a new branchline.
- The Peel Godred electric engines arrive on Sodor.
- Gordon arrives on Sodor.
- James arrives on Sodor, and is overhauled.
- Thomas is given his own Branch Line.
- Sir Topham Hatt becomes General Manager of the North Western Railway.
- Rex is built.
- The Reverend Teddy Boston is born.
- Sir Handel Lloyd Brown II is born.
- The NWR/LMS agreement.
- The North Western Railway starts running to Barrow-in-Furness.
- The Motive Power Depot and Administrative Headquarters are moved to Tidmouth.
- The Crovan's Gate Works are expanded.
- The Toryreck mines begin to decline.
- Thomas' branch line is extended to Ffarquhar.
- Vicarstown Shed is closed.
- Kevin Volley becomes booking clerk of Elsbridge.
- Stanley is turned into a pumping engine.
- Blister I and Blister II are built.
- Oliver is built.
- Albert Regaby steps down from his position as NWR chairman.
- Henry is sent for rebuilding to Crewe into an LMS Stanier Class 5 following his crash.
- The Isle of Man steamers stopped arriving at Arlesburgh, so the traffic to Peel Godred has stopped too.
- Green Arrow is built.
- Mr. Francis Duncan is born.
- Sir Topham Hatt becomes from General Manager to Managing Director.
- The mountain section of the Mid Sodor Railway is closed.
- The Mid Sodor bogie saloon stock along with 3 of 6 engines are sold.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Ffarquhar.
- Rheneas is overhauled.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt goes for railway service overseas.
- Barbara Jane marries Henry Regaby, Viscount Harwick.
- Mallard is built.
- Duchess of Hamilton is built.
- Gordon is rebuilt.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt returns from the railway service overseas.
- World War II begins.
- Christopher Awdry is born.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt marries Amanda, daughter of Mr Jabez Croarie of Ffarquhar.
- Richard Robert is born.
- Sir Stephen Topham Hatt is born.
- Charles Henry dies.
- Bridget Amanda Hatt is born.
- Rheneas takes over majority of the workload on the Skarloey Railway.
- Robert Charles is killed in action while in North Africa.
- The first book of The Railway Series is published.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt spends a further period overseas again.
- The MSR mines are closed one by one.
- World War II ends.
- The Cas-ny-Hawin mine is flooded.
- Stanley is finally broken down and scrapped.
- The Mid Sodor Railway and the Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branches are closed.
- Duke is sheeted and abandoned in a shed.
- Falcon and Stuart are purchased by the aluminium works at Peel Godred for an expansion project.
- Albert Regaby dies; Henry Regaby succeeds his Baronet.
- The North Western Railway becomes officially known as the "North Western Region of British Railways".
- Mr. Roger Sam is born.
- Sir Topham Hatt is created a Baronet on his appointment as Chairman of the Regional Executive, after Nationalisation.
- The claybeds near Brendam are discovered.
- Bill and Ben are built.
- Sir Handel Brown dies.
- David Hugh II is born.
- Falcon and Stuart are sheeted.
- Toby's tramway closes down.
- Toby and Henrietta arrive on Sodor.
- Sir Handel Lloyd Brown marries Rachael Qualtrough.
- David Hugh I retires.
- Trevor is sent to be scrapped.
- Trevor is purchased by the Vicar.
- Edward is overhauled.
- Rheneas is overhauled for a second time.
- Stuart and Falcon are purchased by the Skarloey Railway and renamed "Peter Sam" and "Sir Handel" respectively.
- Skarloey is overhauled.
- Cora is purchased for the Skarloey Railway.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt returns to Sodor, to become Chief Mechanical Engineer at Crovan's Gate, and general assistant to his father.
- Diesel is built.
- Sir Topham Hatt II becomes the Fat Controller.
- Rebecca Dorothy Brown is born.
- Duck arrives on Sodor.
- Percy is sent to Thomas' Branch Line.
- Mark V arrives on Sodor.
- Gertrude and Millicent arrive on Sodor.
- Ada is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Sir Topham Hatt I dies; Charles Topham Hatt inherits his father's baronetcy.
- Jane is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Knapford Junction is moved from south to north of the river.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Knapford.
- City of Truro visits Sodor.
- Diesel visits Sodor.
- Mabel is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Ada, Jane and Mabel arrive on Sodor.
- Rusty is built and arrives on Sodor. Mr. Ivo Hugh becomes his driver.
- Peter Sam had an accident with some slate trucks at the quarry.
- Duncan arrives on Sodor.
- Skarloey returns from being mended.
- BBC producers make a documentary about the Skarloey Railway.
- BoCo is built.
- Donald and Douglas arrive on Sodor.
- The Spiteful Brakevan is crushed by Douglas.
- The Thin Controller finds a MSR bogie coach at Harwick, and 8 coaches are rescued.
- Daisy is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Thomas' running board is straightened.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Cronk.
- The Peel Godred EMUs arrive on Sodor.
- Peter Sam is given a new Giesl Ejector.
- Sir Handel is given a pair of special wheels with broad tyres.
- Rheneas returns to the Skarloey Railway.
- Stepney visits Sodor.
- The Diesel visits Sodor.
- Culdee returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- Lord Harry is renamed "Patrick".
- Shane Dooiney returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- The one-hundredth anniversary of the Skarloey Railway is celebrated.
- BoCo arrives on Sodor.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 20th anniversary.
- Mike is built.
- Blister I and Blister II arrive on Sodor for the construction of the line.
- Bert, Mike and Rex arrive on Sodor to service the Arlesdale Railway.
- Reverend W. Awdry and Reverend Teddy Boston visit Sodor.
- Flying Scotsman visits Sodor.
- 199 arrives on Sodor along with 7101, and is sent back after he fails on the level crossing.
- The Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch is re-opened, to be serviced by Duck.
- Oliver, Isabel and Toad are rescued by Douglas and arrive on Sodor.
- 7101 is renamed "Bear" and renumbered D3.
- Dulcie, Alice and Mirabel are saved from scrap for service with Oliver and Duck.
- S. C. Ruffey is scrapped.
- Frank arrives on Sodor.
- Kevin Volley retires and lives out his life at Ffarquhar.
- Bulgy arrives on Sodor.
- Sigrid of Arlesdale is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Bulgy is turned into a henhouse.
- Duke is discovered by Fergus Duncan, the Reverend W. Awdry and the Reverend Teddy Boston.
- Sir Stephan Topham Hatt marries Helen Margaret.
- Richard Topham Hatt is born.
- Bert is rebuilt with a larger boiler, a taller chimney, dome and cab.
- Charles Nicholas Hatt is born.
- Jock is built.
- Emily Helen Hatt is born.
- Thomas is overhauled.
- Roger Sam becomes the new Thin Controller.
- Duke is fully restored.
- Sir Handel visits the Talyllyn Railway.
- Annie and Clarabel are rebuilt.
- Sir Topham Hatt III becomes the Fat Controller.
- Sir Handel returned from the Talyllyn Railway.
- Skarloey is overhauled a second time.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 40th anniversary.
- Sir Handel is rebuilt.
- The Reverend Teddy Boston dies.
- The Refreshment Lady dies.
- Mavis is involved in a collision with a lorry.
- Bulstrode is turned into a children's playground on a beach.
- After Privatisation, the name "North Western Railway" becomes official.
- Thomas is invited to a railway show in York.
- Frank is re-engined.
- Mr. Ivo Hugh retires, with David Hugh II succeeding him as the current foreman of the Skarloey Railway.
- Henry is overhauled.
- Wilbert visits Sodor.
- The Golden Jubilee of the Railway Series is celebrated.
- Ivo Hugh is built.
- The Reverend W. Awdry dies.
- Sir Topham Hatt II dies; Stephen Topham Hatt inherits his father's Baronet.
- Rheneas is overhauled a third time.
- The Railway Series celebrates its sixtieth anniversary.
- The manager of Anopha Quarry is visited by the police after Henrietta is booked for allowing workmen to ride on her balconies.
- Victoria is returned to service.
- Stepney, Bluebell, and Captain Baxter's overhauls are completed, and the Bluebell Railway celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- The Railway Series celebrates its sixty-fifth anniversary.
- Wilbert is scheduled to be back in service after a major overhaul.
- Pip and Emma are purchased by the North Western Railway.
- The North Western Railway celebrates the Reverend W. Awdry's 100th birthday.
- The North Western Railway celebrates its 100th anniversary.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 70th anniversary.
- The Skarloey Railway celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- The Bluebell Railway celebrates its 55th anniversary.