Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a timeline chronicling major events of the Railway Series continuity.
- Plateway from Ward Fell to Balladwail is closed and torn up.
- John Arnold Norramby is born.
- Stephenson's Rocket is built.
- The Sodor and Mainland Railway is built.
- Henry John Norramby is born.
- Vere Awdry (Reverend W. Awdry's father) is born.
- Skarloey arrives on Sodor for the opening of the Skarloey Railway.
- Rheneas is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Agnes, Ruth, Lucy, Jemima and Beatrice are built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Dolgoch is built.
- Skarloey has trailing wheels added to improve stability and has a cab installed.
- The Wellsworth and Suddery Railway is opened.
- The people of Peel Godred plan for a railway to be built.
- Albert is built
- The Mid Sodor Railway Company is formed.
- Captain Baxter is built.
- Duke is built.
- Duke is shipped to Sodor.
- The Mid Sodor Railway is opened.
- Sir Topham Hatt I is born.
- Boxhill is built.
- Cromford is built.
- Robert Sam, father of Mr. Peter Sam is born.
- Charles Henry Norramby is born.
- The Elsbridge & Knapford Railway is formed.
- Henrietta is built.
- Topham Hatt is apprenticed at Swindon Works.
- Frederick Regaby dies; Albert Regaby succeeds his Baronet.
- Albert is rebuilt.
- John Arnold Norramby dies.
- Bert is built.
- Construction on the Culdee Fell Railway begins.
- Godred, Ernest, Wilfred, Culdee and Shane Dooiney are built and arrive on Sodor.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is opened.
- Godred is scrapped after a fall.
- Percy is built.
- The Culdee Fell Railway is re-opened after receiving further maintenance following the events of Godred's accident.
- Sir Topham Hatt comes to Sodor.
- The last of the Sodor and Mainland engines are scrapped.
- City of Truro becomes one of the first engines to reach 100mph.
- Falcon is built, arrives on Sodor and replaces a MSR locomotive who is then scrapped.
- Elsbridge & Knapford Railway extended to Tidmouth along a coastal road.
- The Coffee Pots are built at A.W.Dry & Co's works by Mr.Topham Hatt.
- The Refreshment Lady is born.
- Tidmouth becomes the first town in Sodor to be lit by electricity.
- The line from Knapford to Tidmouth along the coast was destroyed by a strong autumn gale.
- Using a treasury loan, A.W.Dry & Co put unemployed miners to work cutting a tunnel through a ridge to Tidmouth.
- The Elsbridge & Knapford Railway reformed to become to Tidmouth, Knapford & Elsbridge Light Railway.
- Donald and Douglas are built.
- Bluebell and Primrose are built.
- The Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Light Railway is opened.
- Sir Topham Hatt marries Jane Brown.
- 15th June: The Reverend W. Awdry is born.
- Barbara Jane, daughter of Sir Topham Hatt, is born.
- James is built.
- Stepney is rebuilt.
- The Tidmouth, Wellsworth and Suddery Railway is formed from the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Railway and the Wellsworth and Suddery Railway.
- Margaret Emily Wale Awdry is born.
- Boxhill is restored.
- The North Western Railway is formed from the Sodor and Mainland Railway and the Tidmouth, Wellsworth and Suddery Railway.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt is born.
- Toby is built.
- World War I begins.
- The North Western Railway is built.
- Albert Regaby becomes chairman of the North Western Railway.
- Thomas is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Edward arrives on Sodor.
- The Ballahoo tunnel is built.
- The workshops at Crovan's Gate are established.
- The North Western Railways' Motive Power Depot and Administrative Headquarters at Vicarstown are built.
- The bridge over the Walney Channel is built.
- Mr. Peter Sam is born.
- Henry John Norramby dies.
- Kevin Volley joins the North Western Railway as a lad/porter at Knapford.
- Stanley is built.
- Robert Charles is born.
- World War I ends.
- Henry is built.
- Stuart is built, for work on the Mid Sodor Railway.
- Gordon is started being built at Doncaster.
- The Vicar of Wellsworth, Charles Laxey is born.
- Sir Handel Brown marries Dorothy Lloyd.
- Thomas is officially sold to the North Western Railway.
- 16th April: Alan Pegler is born.
- Edward is officially sold to the North Western Railway.
- Mr. Ivo Hugh is born.
- Kevin Volley is promoted to porter.
- Gordon is built.
- Henry arrives on Sodor.
- 98462 and 87546 arrive on Sodor and are shortly sent packing.
- A second bore is cut for the Ballahoo tunnel after Henry stops in the original.
- Flying Scotsman is built.
- The Peel Godred Power Company and the North Western Railway planned to build a new branchline.
- Gordon arrives on Sodor.
- Sir Topham Hatt becomes General Manager of the North Western Railway.
- Rex is built.
- 20th August: The Reverend Teddy Boston is born.
- Sir Handel Lloyd Brown II is born.
- The NWR/LMS agreement.
- The North Western Railway starts running to Barrow-in-Furness.
- The Motive Power Depot and Administrative Headquarters are moved to Tidmouth.
- The Crovan's Gate Works are expanded.
- The Toryreck mines begin to decline.
- Thomas' Branch Line is extended to Ffarquhar.
- Vicarstown Sheds is closed.
- Kevin Volley becomes booking clerk of Elsbridge.
- The road bridge crossing River Els at Elsbridge is widened to accommodate more traffic.
- Trevor is built.
- Blister I and Blister II are built.
- Henry is sent to be rebuilt at Crewe into an LMS Stanier Class 5 following his crash with the Flying Kipper.
- The Isle of Man steamers stopped arriving at Arlesburgh, so the traffic to Peel Godred had stopped too.
- Green Arrow is built.
- Mr. Fergus Duncan is born.
- Sir Topham Hatt is promoted from General Manager to Managing Director.
- The mountain section of the Mid Sodor Railway is closed.
- The Mid Sodor bogie saloon stock along with 3 of 6 engines are sold.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Ffarquhar.
- Rheneas is overhauled.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt goes for railway service overseas.
- Barbara Jane marries Henry Regaby, Viscount Harwick.
- Mallard is built.
- Mallard sets the world speed record for a steam engine of 126mph.
- Duchess of Hamilton is built.
- Gordon is rebuilt at Crewe.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt returns from the railway service overseas.
- World War II begins.
- 2nd July: Christopher Awdry is born.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt marries Amanda, daughter of Mr. Jabez Croarie of Ffarquhar.
- Richard Robert is born.
- Toad is built.
- Bridget Amanda Hatt is born.
- Rheneas takes over the majority of the workload on the Skarloey Railway.
- Robert Charles is killed in action while in North Africa.
- The first book of The Railway Series is published.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt spends a further period overseas again.
- The Mid Sodor Railway mines are closed one by one.
- World War II ends.
- The Cas-ny-Hawin mine is flooded.
- Stanley is finally broken down and scrapped.
- Hilary Fortnam is born.
- The Mid Sodor Railway and the Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch are closed.
- Duke is sheeted and abandoned in a shed.
- Falcon and Stuart are purchased by the aluminium works at Peel Godred for an expansion project.
- Albert Regaby dies; Henry Regaby succeeds his Baronet.
- The North Western Railway becomes officially known as the "North Western Region of British Railways".
- Mr. Roger Sam is born.
- Sir Topham Hatt is created a Baronet on his appointment as Chairman of the Regional Executive, after Nationalisation.
- The claybeds near Brendam are discovered.
- Bill and Ben are built and arrive on Sodor.
- Harold is built.
- The Slate Quarry began to decline.
- Sir Handel Brown dies; Handel Lloyd Brown succeeds his Baronet.
- David Hugh II is born.
- Falcon and Stuart are sheeted.
- Toby's tramway closes down.
- Toby and Henrietta arrive on Sodor.
- Sir Handel Lloyd Brown marries Rachael Qualtrough.
- David Hugh I retires.
- Trevor is sent to be scrapped.
- Trevor is purchased by the Vicar.
- Edward is overhauled.
- Rheneas is overhauled for a second time.
- Stuart and Falcon are purchased by the Skarloey Railway and renamed "Peter Sam" and "Sir Handel" respectively.
- Skarloey is overhauled.
- Cora is purchased for the Skarloey Railway.
- Sir Charles Topham Hatt returns to Sodor, to become Chief Mechanical Engineer at Crovan's Gate and general assistant to his father.
- Diesel is built.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Sodor.
- Nancy is born.
- Wilbert is built.
- The Ministry of Defence approached Sir Handel II to buy the nearly worked out slate quarry.
- Sir Topham Hatt II becomes the Fat Controller.
- Rebecca Dorothy Brown is born.
- Ballast from the North Western Railway began to be obtained for the Skarloey Railway.
- Duck arrives on Sodor.
- Percy is sent to Thomas' Branch Line.
- Mark V arrives on Sodor.
- Gertrude and Millicent are bought by the Skarloey Railway.
- Ada is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Sir Topham Hatt I dies; Charles Topham Hatt inherits his father's baronetcy.
- Jane is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Knapford Junction is moved from south to north of the River Els.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Knapford.
- City of Truro visits Sodor.
- Diesel visits Sodor.
- Mabel is built for the Skarloey Railway.
- Ada, Jane and Mabel arrive on Sodor.
- Rusty is built and arrives on Sodor. Mr. Ivo Hugh becomes his driver.
- Peter Sam has an accident with some slate trucks at the quarry.
- Duncan arrives on Sodor.
- Skarloey returns from being mended.
- BBC producers make a documentary about the Skarloey Railway.
- BoCo is built.
- Donald and Douglas arrive on Sodor.
- The Spiteful Brake Van is crushed by Douglas and scrapped.
- The Thin Controller finds a Mid Sodor Railway bogie coach at Harwick and 8 coaches are rescued.
- Oliver is rebuilt.
- Daisy is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Thomas' running board is straightened.
- Kevin Volley becomes stationmaster at Cronk.
- The Ministry of Defence finally bought the empty slate quarry and the money was used for the construction of the Lakeside loop line.
- Old Stuck-Up is built.
- The Peel Godred EMUs arrive on Sodor.
- Peter Sam is given a new Giesl Ejector.
- Sir Handel is given a pair of special wheels with broad tyres.
- Rheneas returns to the Skarloey Railway.
- Mavis is built.
- Lord Harry, Alaric and Eric arrive on Sodor.
- Stepney visits Sodor.
- The Diesel visits Sodor.
- Culdee returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- Lord Harry is renamed "Patrick".
- Flying Scotsman is saved by Alan Pegler.
- The loop line extension around the lake began to be built.
- D199 is built.
- Rheneas' 100th birthday.
- Shane Dooiney returns to the Culdee Fell Railway.
- The one-hundredth anniversary of the Skarloey Railway is celebrated.
- The loop line extension at Lakeside is opened.
- BoCo arrives on Sodor.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 20th anniversary.
- Mike is built.
- The Skarloey Railway became a Company instead of being in private ownership.
- Blister I and Blister II arrive on Sodor for the construction of the Arlesdale Railway.
- Bert, Mike and Rex arrive on Sodor to service the Arlesdale Railway.
- Reverend W. Awdry and Reverend Teddy Boston visit Sodor.
- Flying Scotsman visits Sodor.
- D199 arrives on Sodor along with 7101 and is sent back after he fails on the level crossing.
- The Tidmouth-Arlesburgh branch is re-opened, to be serviced by Duck.
- Oliver, Isabel and Toad are rescued by Douglas and arrive on Sodor.
- 7101 is renamed "Bear" and renumbered D3.
- Dulcie, Alice and Mirabel are saved from scrap for service with Oliver and Duck.
- Frank arrives on Sodor.
- S. C. Ruffey is pulled apart by Oliver and scrapped.
- Kevin Volley retires and lives out his life at Ffarquhar.
- Bulgy arrives on Sodor.
- Bulgy is turned into a henhouse.
- The year that steam traction officially ended on British Railways.
- Sigrid of Arlesdale is built and arrives on Sodor.
- Duke is discovered by Fergus Duncan, the Reverend W. Awdry and the Reverend Teddy Boston.
- Sir Stephen Topham Hatt marries Helen Margaret.
- The siding at Cros-ny-Cuirn is extended to make a passing loop.
- Richard Topham Hatt is born.
- A second platform is added at Marthwaite.
- Mavis arrives on Sodor to start work at F.F.Q
- Bert is rebuilt with a larger boiler, a taller chimney, dome and cab.
- Charles Nicholas Hatt is born.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 30th anniversary.
- Jock is built.
- Emily Helen Hatt is born.
- A Motorail Terminal is opened at Killdane.
- A replica of Stephenson's Rocket is built.
- Thomas is overhauled.
- Roger Sam becomes the new Thin Controller.
- Old Stuck-Up is scrapped.
- Duke is fully restored.
- Sir Handel visits the Talyllyn Railway.
- Sir Topham Hatt III becomes the Fat Controller.
- Sir Handel returns from the Talyllyn Railway.
- 9th October: The first episode of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends, Thomas and Gordon, aired on BBC.
- The Skarloey Funicular Railway is opened.
- Skarloey is overhauled a second time.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 40th anniversary.
- Sir Handel is rebuilt.
- 1st April: The Reverend Teddy Boston dies.
- The Refreshment Lady dies.
- Mavis is involved in a collision with a lorry.
- Bulstrode is turned into a children's playground on a beach.
- Peter Sam visits the Talyllyn Railway.
- Fred is put into service on the Skarloey Railway.
- 21st March: Margaret Emily Wale Awdry died, aged 77.
- After Privatisation, the name "North Western Railway" becomes official.
- Thomas is invited to a railway show in York.
- Frank is re-engined.
- Mr. Ivo Hugh retires, with David Hugh II succeeding him as the current foreman of the Skarloey Railway.
- Henry is overhauled.
- Wilbert visits Sodor.
- British Railways is privatised.
- 27th October: George Edward Vere Awdry died, aged 78.
- The Golden Jubilee of the Railway Series is celebrated.
- Peter Sam returns to the Skarloey Railway to help with the extra work.
- Ivo Hugh is built.
- 21st March: The Reverend W. Awdry dies, aged 85.
- Sir Topham Hatt II dies; Stephen Topham Hatt inherits his father's Baronet.
- Rheneas is overhauled a third time.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 60th anniversary.
- The manager of Anopha Quarry is visited by the police after Henrietta is booked for allowing workmen to ride on her balconies.
- Victoria is restored and returned to service.
- Stepney, Bluebell and Captain Baxter's overhauls are completed and the Bluebell Railway celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 65th anniversary.
- Wilbert is scheduled to be back in service after a major overhaul.
- Pip and Emma are purchased by the North Western Railway.
- The North Western Railway celebrates the Reverend W. Awdry's 100th birthday.
- Wilbert is returned to service.
- 18th March: Alan Pegler dies, aged 91.
- 25th November: Hilary Fortnam dies, aged 67.
- The North Western Railway celebrates its 100th anniversary.
- The Railway Series celebrates its 70th anniversary.
- The Skarloey Railway celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- The Bluebell Railway celebrates its 55th anniversary.
- The North Western Railway celebrates running for over 100 years.
- Thomas' 100th birthday.
- Flying Scotsman returns to steam in England.
- The North Westen Railway celebrates the Reverend W. Awdry's 105th birthday.