- “I am Tiger Moth and I am terrific!”
- ―Tiger Moth, Pictures in the Sky
Tiger Moth is a red and yellow biplane, who is described to be reckless and daring. In the magazines, Tiger Moth has a face.
Thomas & Friends
Tiger Moth was rude and had a tendency to fly dangerously low on the ground. He once did a dangerous trick above the Fat Controller and his family while they were on holiday. However, he got his comeuppance a few days later when he crashed into a haystack. Harold brought the Fat Controller to the sight when they were searching for him after he was reported missing, and the Fat Controller had a stern talk with his pilot, informing him that he and his plane will be grounded when he speaks to his controller about what happened.
When Tiger Moth was ungrounded, he would later help promote "Harry Topper's Fair" at Tidmouth Bay by carrying a large banner behind him.
He flies high and low, doing dangerous tricks to show off, and is very rude indeed. He learnt his lesson after crashing into a haystack.
Tiger Moth is loosely based on, and named after, a de Havilland Tiger Moth with a radial engine and tail resembling that of a Sopwith Camel. According to an interview with Robert Gauld-Galliers by SiF, Tiger Moth is actually a Nieuport 17 Bi-Plane. The Biplane shares the same basis.
Tiger Moth is painted yellow and red.
- The "rising sun" design on Tiger Moth's wings resembles the top half of the old Japanese flag.
- The red and yellow paint work resembles the Tiger Moth model (and plane for the live-action footage) in the "Thunderbirds" movie "Thunderbird 6". In addition, David Mitton worked for Gerry Anderson on the original programme and subsequent show Anderson created.
- Despite never having a face in the television series, Tiger Moth gained one in the magazine stories, which looks a little identical to Thomas'.
- In Railway Adventures, there are similar planes located at Elsbridge.
- On the packaging of his Ertl toy, Tiger Moth is referred to as a "Bi-Plane", the type of plane that he is based on.
- When Tiger Moth was featured in Trouble on the Tracks (PC Game) he is in the activity Finding James.