|This article is about the 1993 console game. You may be looking for the engine, the baby, the VHS, the Story Library book, the Engine Adventures book, the Railway Series book, the Railway Series compilation book, the magazine story, the 1984 handheld game or the Kids Station game.|
Thomas the Tank Engine is a Sega Genesis video game developed by Malibu Interactive and published by THQ in 1993. Players can pick between five engines to play with: Thomas, James, Percy, Toby and Duck. They can also colour in the engines and give the engineer a name. The colour of the engineer in the colouring in effects the colour of his sprite in-game. It has three different skill levels for three levels; Game, Race and Explore. The game is narrated by American Software programmer Craig Ewert.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Edward (non-playable)
- Henry (non-playable)
- Gordon (non-playable)
- Sir Topham Hatt (voice-over)
The original Thomas title music is played at the title screen. This game featured music from seasons 1, 2 and 3. Various sound effects include a whistle, puffing, breaking, different tones of a selection 'ding' and a 'fill' effect while colouring the engines.
Starting the Game
The player must pick an engine from Thomas, James, Percy, Toby or Duck. The player can start straight away with Thomas, or colour-in the engines. In the colouring-in, they can choose what colour their engineer's clothes are by colouring them in on the picture.
There is an opportunity to name the engineer after the player's own name, or pick from some of the names provided. Some of these include: Amy, Bill, Carlos, Dan, Elizabeth, Jasmine, Kevin, Laura, Maria, Sam, Tim, etc.
You must also select a skill level of Easy, Medium or Hard.
To find the correct rolling stock and take them to the designated station. Once complete, the Fat Controller will make a comment on speed and memory, and a score will be tallied.
Race to the finish line before the other engine reaches it, the player must keep up with his skills and speed (For example, get the blue balloons and candy. But watch out the oil spills, purple balloons and other engines).
The chance to explore the maps from 'Game' and 'Race' without a timer and points. Players can pick up loose trucks or coaches and take them anywhere.
- Crewe, Shiloh and Barrow are depicted as stations on the North Western Railway, yet none of them are part of the Island.
- In the front view shots of the engines, James, Percy and Duck have the same front view sprite as Thomas, but recolored and with different faces.
- James, Percy, Toby and Duck are missing their numbers.
- Thomas has Edward's face, James has Henry's face and Duck has James' face.
- When hitting a purple balloon or running into mud on the rails, Thomas, James, Percy and Duck use the same sad face with different noses.
- When Duck, Annie and Clarabel are facing left, their sprites are mirrored, meaning Duck's "GWR" lettering and Annie and Clarabel's names are mirrored as well.
- When Duck is going up around bends, the side of his running board changes from black to red.
- James is depicted with a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement, his tender has only four wheels, and his wheels are red.
- On the "Pick an Engine" and "Coloring your Engine" screens, as well as the in-game sprites, all the engines have the same face.
- Percy's colour-in picture shows him with a single coupling rod.