|This article is about the 1993 console game. You may be looking for the engine, the baby, the VHS, the Story Library book, the Engine Adventures book, the Railway Series book, the Railway Series compilation book, the magazine story, the 1984 handheld game or the Kids Station game.|
- Edward (non-playable)
- Henry (non-playable)
- Gordon (non-playable)
- Sir Topham Hatt (voice-over)
- Annie (not named; does not speak)
The original Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends theme tune is played at the title screen. This game featured music from seasons 1, 2 and 3. Various sound effects include a whistle, puffing, braking, different tones of a selection (e.g. starting a race) 'ding' and a 'fill' effect while colouring the engines.
Most of the music however is unable to be looped except in the Race game
Starting the Game
The player must pick an engine from Thomas, James, Percy, Toby or Duck. The player can start straight away with Thomas, or colour-in any engine. In the colouring-in, they can choose what colour their engineer's clothes are by colouring them in on the picture.
There is an opportunity to name the engineer after the player's own name, or pick from some of the names provided. Some of these include: Amy, Bill, Carlos, Dan, Elizabeth, Jasmine, Kevin, Laura, Maria, Sam, Tim, etc.
You must also select a skill level of easy, medium or hard.
To find the correct rolling stock and take them to the designated station (any station in easy mode). Once complete, the Fat Controller will make a comment on speed and memory, and a score will be tallied.
Rolling stock include flat trucks, mine trucks (Troublesome Trucks), log trucks, gravel trucks (also Troublesome Trucks), passenger trucks (Annie) and flat trucks having a shape of varying quantity or colour.
If the job is finished in 0 or 1 minute, Thomas, Edward, Gordon, Henry or James will congratulate you and tell you Sir Topham Hatt wants to see you.
Race to the finish line before the other engine reaches it, the player must keep up with his skills and speed (For example, get the up arrow balloons and candy. But watch out the mud, down arrow balloons and other engines).
The first race is against Toby, the second race is against Percy, the third race is against Duck, the fourth race is against James, and the fifth race is against Thomas. (The characters often switch around depending on the engine the player chooses at the start)
Winning against three engines will give the player a silver medal and winning against all five will give the player a gold medal and end the game.
The chance to explore the maps from 'Game' and 'Race' without a timer and points. Players can pick up loose trucks or coaches and take them anywhere.
- This is the first video game where Annie appears without Clarabel.
- The picture for the Game mode is a modified Ertl Thomas pulling a Troublesome Truck to a station for the Fat Controller, the picture for Race is the scene where Edward is trying to rescue James from the second season episode, Old Iron, and the picture for Explore is just a picture of an engine coming out of a tunnel.
- A few themes have been used:
- During the example of the Game mode, the busy station theme is played.
- During the Game and Explore modes, part of Henry's theme is played.
- During the Race mode, a modified version of Edward's theme is played.
- During the example of the Race mode, part of Gordon's theme is played.
- When races are lost, part of Sir Topham Hatt's theme is played.
- Crewe, Shiloh and Barrow are depicted as stations on the North Western Railway, yet none of them are part of the Island.
- In this game, Knapford, Brendam, Dryaw, Maron and Elsbridge stations look inaccurate to their true appearances in the TV series.
- In the front view shots of the engines, James, Percy and Duck have the same front view sprite as Thomas, but recolored and with different faces.
- Not just that, Percy and Duck's front view shots share the same color.
- James, Percy, Toby and Duck's in-game sprites are missing their numbers.
- James has Henry's face and Duck has James' face, but modified.
- Whenever Thomas, Percy and Duck hit a down arrow balloon, run into mud on the rails, start over a mission or quit the explore part, they use James' sad face, but with different face designs.
- When Duck and Annie are facing left, their sprites are mirrored, meaning Duck's "GWR" lettering and Annie's name are mirrored as well.
- Whenever James, Percy and Duck crash into an engine during races, they sometimes use Thomas' surprised face, but with different face designs.
- When Duck is going up around bends, the side of his running board changes from black to red.
- James is depicted with a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement, his tender is too short, and also his wheels and dome are red.
- In the picture for the Race mode, James is wearing Thomas' happy face.
- On the "Pick an Engine" and "Coloring your Engine" screens, as well as the in-game sprites, all the engines have the same face and Duck is missing his "GWR" lettering.
- Percy's colour-in picture shows him with a single coupling rod.
- The sprites and sound effects for using the engines' whistles is exactly the same for all the engines.
- On the "Coloring your Engine" screens, Thomas, James and Toby (excluding Percy and Duck) lack their coupling hooks.
- Thomas, James, Percy and Duck's wheels do not move.