|This article is about the 1993 console game. You may be looking for the engine, the VHS, the Story Library book, the Railway Series book, the Railway Series compilation book, the magazine story, the 1984 handheld game.|
Thomas the Tank Engine was a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive video game developed by Malibu Interactive and THQ Software in 1993. Players could pick between five engines: Thomas, James, Percy, Toby and Duck. They could also colour in the engines and give the engineer a name. It had three different skill levels for three levels; Game, Race, and Explore. The game was narrated by American Software Programmer Craig Ewert.
- Edward (not playable)
- Henry (not playable)
- Gordon (not playable)
- Annie and Clarabel
- Troublesome Trucks
- Sir Topham Hatt (voice over)
The original Thomas title music is played at the title screen. This game featured music from seasons 1, 2, and 3. Various sound effects include a whistle, puffing, breaking, different tones of a selection 'ding', a 'fill' effect while colouring the engines.
Starting the Game
The player must pick an engine from Thomas, James, Percy, Toby, or Duck The player can start straight away with Thomas, or colour-in the engines. In the colouring-in, they can choose what colour their engineer's clothes are by colouring them in in the picture.
There is an opportunity to name the engineer after the player's own name, or pick from some of the names provided. Some of these include: Amy, Bill, Carlos, Dan, Elizabeth, Jasmine, Kevin, Laura, Maria, Sam, and Tim.
You must also select a skill level of Easy, Medium or Hard.
To find the correct rolling stock and take them to the designated station. Once complete, the Fat Controller will make a comment on speed and memory, and a score will be tallied.
To get to the finish line before the other engine reaches it, the player must keep up with his or her skills and speed.
The chance to explore the maps from 'Game' without a timer. Players can pick up loose wagons or coaches and take them anywhere.
- Crewe, Shiloh and Barrow are depicted as stations on the North Western Railway, yet none of them are part of island.
- In the front view shots of the engines, Thomas, James and Percy have the same front view sprite as Duck, but recoloured.
- James, Percy, Toby, and Duck are missing their numbers.
- Thomas has Edward's face.
- James and Duck have Henry's faces.
- When Duck, Annie and Clarabel are facing left, their sprites are mirrored, meaning Duck's "GWR" lettering and Annie and Clarabel's nameplates are mirrored as well.
- When Duck is going around bends, the side of his running board is red instead of black.
- James is depicted with a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement, his tender has only four wheels, and his wheels are red.
- On the "Pick an Engine" and "Coloring your Engine" screens, all the engines' faces are the same.
- Percy's colour-in picture shows him with a single siderod.