|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book, the board book, the 1987 magazine story or the 1998 magazine story.|
| Thomas and the Trucks|
Trouble for Thomas
Thomas and the Trucks, retitled Trouble for Thomas in American releases, is the sixth episode of the first season. It aired in the US on the Shining Time Station episodes And the Band Played Off, Jingle, Jingle, Jingle, and Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales.
Thomas is bored with his job of shunting coaches, and complains to the other engines about it night after night. The engines get incredibly annoyed, for they have to listen to Thomas' complaining all night long. One night, Edward comes to the shed and felt sorry for Thomas. He offers Thomas his train of trucks, while Edward would shunt coaches. With this, Thomas happily agrees.
The next morning, their drivers agree, and Thomas sets off happily for the yard. Troublesome Trucks are very silly and noisy, and often do not attend to what they are doing. They also often play tricks on engines who are not used to them. Edward had warned Thomas to be careful before his journey, but in his excitement, Thomas did not listen. Thomas soon starts to pull the train, but the trucks were not ready. Despite their cries to stop, Thomas just storms out of the station stubbornly.
Thomas goes faster and faster along the journey, but as he went faster and faster, the trucks grow crosser and crosser. Thomas eventually slows down at Gordon's Hill, but as he applies his brakes at the top, the trucks begin to push Thomas down the hill. Thomas loses control of the trucks as they rush into Maron. He swerves into the goods yard, and barely stops at some buffers, preventing an accident. The Fat Controller arrives and questions Thomas' speed. Thomas explains what had happened, and the Fat Controller advises Thomas that he should learn more about trucks if he is to become a Really Useful Engine.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Henry (does not speak)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book Thomas the Tank Engine.
- The events of this episode were remade in CGI for the 2015 special The Adventure Begins.
- Stock footage from Edward and Gordon and Thomas' Train is used.
- This episode marks the first time the phrase "a really useful engine" was said in the series.
- At the beginning of the A Big Day for Thomas release of this episode, Mr. Conductor's whistle from Shining Time Station can be heard.
- At the beginning, because of an alternate shot, Gordon is in the middle of the shed with Thomas and Henry to the left, and James and Edward to the right, but in the close-ups, Thomas is in the middle, Gordon and James are on one side, and Edward and Henry are on the other. This appears to be unused footage shot for the episode Edward and Gordon, as the engines are all in the same positions.
- The narrator says that the guard blew his whistle and a whistle sound is heard, but the guard is only holding a green flag.
- When Thomas rushes through Elsbridge, the left-hand track stops dead, and a hand can briefly be seen in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the close-ups of Thomas pulling a truck, the rest of the train is missing, and the truck is facing backwards instead of forwards.
- Thomas' trucks constantly change throughout his journey.
- In the restored version, the scene of the trucks bumping Thomas is not cut properly, so the buffering sound effects are out of sync.
- In some US releases and on PBS Sprout, the episode is out of sync, and the final music cue is played twice.
- In the close-up of Thomas hitting the buffers, his buffer beam is black as opposed to red.
- When Thomas comes out of Henry's Tunnel, the track bounces.
- When Thomas is first seen shunting, the siding he is on does not have buffers at the end.
- When Thomas is reversing from Maron' siding, his wheels were reversing faster than he was. Adding by, when he reverses his wheels are slipping without moving him.
- Buzz Books - Thomas and the Trucks
In other languages
|Spanish||Thomas en Problemas||Thomas in Trouble|
|Norwegian||Thomas og godsvognene||Thomas and the Trucks|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Bronca||The Earful|
|Danish||Thomas og de Vogne||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Japanese||トーマスのさいなん||Calamity of Thomas|
|German||Die Güterwagen||The Freight Wagons|
|Welsh||Tomos a'r Tryciau||Thomas and the Trucks|
|Croatian||Tomica i teretni vagoni||Thomas and Freight Wagons|
|Dutch||Thomas en de goederenwagons||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Italian||Un Trenino Dispettoso||A Spiteful Train|
|Hungarian||Thomas és a teherkocsik||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Slovenian||Tomaž in vagoni||Thomas and Wagons|