|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the German DVD, the Norwegian DVD, the Swedish DVD, the Dutch DVD, or the magazine story.|
|Thomas and the Rainbow|
Thomas and the Rainbow is the second episode of the ninth season.
After an overnight storm knocks the telephone poles down, the Fat Controller gives Thomas the task to take engineers to fix them. Thomas goes to Brendam Docks with Annie and Clarabel and whilst the engineers climb aboard his train, he sees a rainbow in the sky. Edward, who is shunting trucks nearby, tells Thomas that according to legend "you will find something magical at the end of a rainbow". This prompts Thomas to find the end of the rainbow.
During his journey, Thomas meets Percy at Bluff's Cove Junction, but doesn't have time to talk to his best friend as he wants to find the end of the rainbow. Climbing up Gordon's Hill, the end of the rainbow seems to be at the summit; but when Thomas gets there, the rainbow had moved. After dropping off some engineers by a bridge, Thomas ignores some children's call of "hello" as he carries on finding the rainbow. Unfortunately, Thomas gets so carried away trying to find the end of the rainbow that he ignores Henry's call for assistance with his trucks and Toby's warning that something is blocking the track ahead. It turns out to be a broken telephone pole, which Thomas runs into and derails.
Now Thomas cannot finish his job and, as all the telephone poles aren't fixed, his driver can't telephone for help. However, Thomas sees Percy passing by on another line and whistles for help to him, but Percy doesn't respond; Thomas thinks that Percy isn't listening because he didn't have time to talk to Percy. But Percy had heard Thomas' call for help and sends the message down then line. The message eventually reaches Harvey, who sets off to the rescue.
Finally Harvey arrives and gets Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel back on the rails; he also tells Thomas that all of his friends worked together in rescuing him. Thomas carries on with his work, but now ignores the rainbow. Once all the telephone poles are fixed, Thomas goes home to Tidmouth Sheds to find the end of the rainbow. The something magical is his friends.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Henry (does not speak)
- James (does not speak)
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Harold (does not speak)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Emily (cameo)
- Salty (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Tiger Moth (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Brendam Docks
- Bluff's Cove Junction
- Gordon's Hill
- Shen Valley
- The Ruined Castle
- In Japan, this episode is titled "A Rainbow and Thomas".
- In the US, this episode aired before Calling All Engines! was released, so the audience would not have known about the new Tidmouth Sheds yet.
- Going by production order, this is the first episode of the ninth season.
- At the beginning of the episode, Henry has Gordon's whistle sound.
- In the shot of the workman getting into Annie, a wire can be seen in her window.
- Nothing was said about the engineers after the accident.
- It is impossible to find the end of a rainbow.
- Surely Thomas has seen a rainbow before.
- When Bertie tells the children about Thomas' accident, he is smiling.
- Bertie has Caroline's horn sound.
- A rainbow needs rain and sun in order to form, however there is never any rain throughout the entire episode.
- When Thomas passes Henry, all three signals are up, but Thomas passes the signal at danger.
- Thomas turns several corners on his railway line, so the angle of the rainbow should've changed in his point of view everytime he did.
- The telegraph pole should've sustained severe damage from the force of the crash and the crushing weight of Thomas.