|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the German DVD.|
Thomas and the New Engine is the eleventh episode of the ninth season.
At Tidmouth Sheds, The Fat Controller announces that a new engine named Neville has arrived on the island and that the others must make him feel welcome. Later, Thomas is warned by a signalman about a broken bridge, so Thomas goes to collect some steel ironworks. At the yards, Neville is with 'Arry and Bert. He reverses up to his trucks and bumps into them. This gives 'Arry and Bert a chance to laugh at him and tease him about it. At that moment, Thomas arrives, sees Neville with 'Arry and Bert, and thinks that Neville is friends with the Diesel engines.
At Knapford, Thomas meets James, and tells him about seeing Neville laughing with 'Arry and Bert. Then, as Thomas leaves, Edward arrives so James tells him about Neville. Later, whilst taking on water, Edward tells Percy that Neville is friends with the Diesels and does not want to be with steamies. Then, when Percy meets Emily at a red signal, he warns her not to go near Neville as 'Arry and Bert had told him to biff into all of the steamies.
At Abbey station, Thomas is just told by the Fat Controller to warn engines not to cross the broken bridge when he hears a steam engine's whistle - it turns out to be Neville pulling Annie and Clarabel. Thomas is cross with Neville for pulling his coaches; Emily then arrives. Neville says hello, but Emily is also cross with Neville as she thinks that he is going to biff into all the steam engines, much to the surprise of Thomas.
After Neville leaves, Thomas is puzzled and asks Emily where she got information from. Emily tells that Percy told her, Edward told Percy, James told Edward and Thomas told James. But Thomas explained that he only said to James that he only saw Neville with 'Arry and Bert. Toby then arrived explaining what he heard from Henry, who saw 'Arry and Bert picking on Neville. Thomas and Emily are very shocked and realise their mistake. Thomas then realises that Neville is heading for the broken bridge, so he pumps his pistons to Neville's rescue. Unfortunately, Neville had already crashed through the barricade and is already hanging over the edge of the broken bridge. But soon Thomas arrives, just in time to save Neville, Annie, and Clarabel. Thomas apologizes to Neville for believing silly stories about him, and Neville is happy to have finally made friends with Thomas.
- 'Arry and Bert
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Henry (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Gordon (cameo)
- George (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- The Lumber Mill
- Kirk Ronan Junction
- McColl Farm
- Neville's Bridge
- Stepney's Branch Line
- Gordon's Hill (deleted scene)
- Neville is seen at Abbey without Annie and Clarabel in a promotional image.
- In some descriptions of the episode, Neville is described as actually being a Diesel.
- Going by production order, this is the fourteenth episode of the ninth season.
- A deleted scene shows that the bridge Neville hangs from was actually the same Thomas crosses at the beginning.
- This episode marks 'Arry and Bert's only appearances in the ninth season.
- When Percy talks to Emily at the signal, his face mask is on crooked.
- 'Arry and Bert were both sharing the same face mask as they're teasing Neville. It's easy to tell because of the stubble beard on 'Arry.
- The narrator says that "The stationmaster blew his whistle", but it is the guard who blows the whistle.
- When Toby puffs into Abbey station, his steam platform is visible.
- As Neville breaks through the barrier, a piece of rubble lands in his mouth.
- The bridge that Thomas crosses at the beginning is the same Neville hangs from by the end, just that it was redressed with more bushes and removing the missing track that connects both ends of the bridge.
- Thomas' wheels slip briefly when he began to pull Neville, Annie and Clarabel out of the broken bridge.
- A deleted scene shows Neville at Abbey without Annie and Clarabel.
In Other Languages
|Danish||Thomas Og Det Nye lokomotiv||Thomas and the New Engine|
|Swedish||Thomas Och Det Nya loket||Thomas and the New Engine|
|Norwegian||Thomas Og Det Nye lokomotivet||Thomas and the New Engine|
|Japanese||あたらしいきかんしゃネビル||Neville the New Engine|
|Russian||Томас и новый поезд||Thomas and the New Train|
|Chinese||托马斯和新火车||Thomas and the New Train|
|Korean||새 친구 네빌||Neville the New Friend|
|Greek||Ο Τόμας και η νέα ατμομηχανή||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Thai||รถจักใหม่||Getting a New Car|
|Spanish||Thomas y la Nueva Locomotora||Thomas and the New Engine|
|French||Thomas et la Nouvelle Locomotive||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Portuguese||Thomas e a Nova Locomotiva||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Dutch||Thomas en de Nieuwe Locomotief||Thomas and the New Engine|
|German||Thomas Und Die Neue Lok||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Hungarian||Thomas és Az új Mozdony||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Italian||Thomas e la Nuova Locomotiva||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Catalan||Neville: El Nou Motor||Neville: The New Engine|
|Flemish||Neville: De Nieuw Locomotief||Neville: The New Train|
|Gaelic||Tomas Agus An T-Einnsean Ur||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Romanian||Thomas și Loconotiva Cea Nouă||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Polish||Tomek i Nowa Lokomotywa||Thomas and New Locomotive|
|Czech||Tomáš a Nová Mašinka||Thomas and the New Contraption|
|Slovak||Thomas a Nová Lokomotíva||Thomas and the New Locomotive|
|Slovene (SLOVENIAN)||Thomas a Nov Motor||Thomas and the New Engine|
Home Media Releases