- “But you pulled the team's carriages last year!"
"And I'm pulling them again this year!”
- ―Thomas and James
Thomas and the Colours, also known as Thomas and the Colors in American releases, is the twenty-second episode of the tenth season.
Thomas tries to finish his jobs quickly so that he can take the Sodor football team to a match against the Mainland, but is upset when he finds James being decorated in the team flags just like last year. Thomas tries to use James' vanity against him so that he can pull the team, but James does not pay attention and Thomas runs out of ideas. Then, he has a brainwave - have James diverted. Unfortunately, the siding James runs onto is overgrown and the flags are ruined. Thomas goes for help, but is stopped when he sees Bertie broken down, beside the line. Thomas, thinking fast, collects Annie and Clarabel to take Bertie's passengers and then the football team and takes them to James, so he can have James decorated with the team's scarves. The team gets to the match on time and James agrees to let Thomas pull the team the next year - but teases if only he gets to the yard first.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Emily (cameo)
- When released on the HiT Favorite's School Days US DVD, the eighth season version of the Engine Rollcall was used.
- In some scenes, Thomas' face is crooked.
- When Thomas arrives at the signal box, his steam platform is visible.
- James jerks up and tilts roughly while passing by the old siding.
- When the kids decorate James, their hats disappear. Though they just decorated James with their scarfs and flags, no hat is visible on him when he was re-dressed.