|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the tractor, the Story Library book, the Buzz Book, the magazine story or the Philippine DVD.|
- "What ugly wheels you've got."
- ―Thomas insulting Terence
Thomas, Terence and the Snow, retitled Terence the Tractor in American releases, is the thirteenth episode of the first season. In the US, this episode aired on the Shining Time Station episodes Agree to Disagree in 1989 and 'Tis a Gift in 1990.
Autumn arrives on the Island of Sodor, turning the fields and trees from green to brown. One day, Thomas is running along his branch line when he spots a tractor ploughing the fields. Later, Thomas gets a chance to talk to the tractor who is friendly and introduces himself as Terence. Thomas cheekily tells Terence he has ugly wheels, but Terence explains they are caterpillars and allow him to go anywhere as he does not need rails to run. Thomas is indignant, telling Terence he likes his rails as he leaves.
Winter soon comes and the landscape is blanketed by snow. Thomas' driver is worried that a heavy fall is coming, but Thomas is not scared of something like snow. However, the countryside is covered with snow and Thomas is angry to arrive at the station to find his snowplough waiting for him. Thomas' driver explains that the tank engine will need to wear it for the next journey, but Thomas is certain snow (which he calls 'silly soft stuff') will not stop him. Thomas finds his snowplough to be very uncomfortable, making him cross, causing him to shake and bang it throughout his journey. By the end of the day, the plough is so damaged that his driver has to remove it. He scolds Thomas that he is a very naughty engine as he shuts him up in the shed for the night.
The next morning, Thomas' driver and fireman arrive early to try and fix the snowplough but cannot make it fit. Thomas is very pleased that he does not have to wear it and boasts to Annie and Clarabel who are worried about the snow, as is Thomas' driver knowing the snow will be deep in the valley. Thomas is not concerned at all and rushes into a tunnel thinking of how clever he is... and comes out to find a massive snow drift which he runs straight into.
Thomas is stuck and his attempts to reverse out are useless. The guard goes for help as the driver, fireman and Thomas' passengers try to dig him out, however more snow falls until Thomas is nearly buried. Thomas is very upset and begins to cry, believing he will wind up frozen and realising that it is his own fault since he would not have got stuck if he had been wearing his snowplough.
A bus arrives to pick up the passengers and none other than Terence (who does not mind snow) arrives to rescue Thomas. After taking the now-empty Annie and Clarabel away, Terence returns for Thomas, who has had most of the snow dug off him but still cannot budge. A chain is attached to the two and Terence is finally able to pull Thomas free after a lot of effort.
Thomas is now able to move on his own again and picks up Annie and Clarabel while thanking Terence for the rescue and praising his caterpillars. Thomas' driver hopes that Thomas has learned his lesson and will act more sensible in the future. Thomas promises to try, as he humbly heads back to the sheds.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Bertie (not named; does not speak)
- Farmer Finney (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (deleted scene)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Tank Engine Thomas Again.
- When the series launched on CiTV, a small clip of this episode was used in the interviews of the Reverend W. Awdry and Ringo Starr.
- This is the first episode to show an on-screen crash.
- Stock footage from Thomas and the Guard is used.
- George Carlin's narration of this episode was never featured on an episode of Shining Time Station. It first appeared on the VHS, Thomas and Bertie's Great Race and Other Adventures.
- In a rare picture of Thomas, Annie and Clarabel at Tidmouth Sheds, a truck next to Thomas has "N.E." written on it.
- This episode marks the first time Thomas' phrase "Cinders and ashes!" is said.
- This episode's US title is the first episode to be named after a single character. The second season episode, Daisy, is the first in the UK.
- Numerous deleted and extended shots are used in the music video, Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover.
- In some close-ups of Thomas, he is not pulling Annie and Clarabel.
- When Thomas collects Annie and Clarabel, a truck is next to him. When he puffs off, a brake van has mysteriously appeared in front of it.
- In a close-up of Thomas, his wheels are sliding on the rails.
- When Thomas is coming towards Ffarquhar, studio equipment can be seen on the top right.
- Thomas, Annie and Clarabel are not at the station in the close-up of Thomas' snowplough.
- When Thomas leaves Knapford, Annie and Clarabel's names are missing.
- In the shot after Thomas pulling out of Knapford Station, the end of the set is visible.
- When Thomas says "Cinders and ashes!" it looks as if Clarabel is derailed.
- After Thomas plows through the snow drift, Clarabel is smiling when she is supposed to be upset. Plus, when Terence is heading towards Clarabel, she has a frown.
- When Thomas reverses towards Annie and Clarabel, the coupling sound is heard before Thomas couples up to Annie.
- When Terence is turning around to pull the coaches away, Annie suddenly becomes the rear coach.
- When Thomas is backing up to Annie and Clarabel, he has almost no piled snow on him, but when Terence pulled him out of the snow drift, he had an enormous pile of snow on him.
- When Thomas says "Oh my wheels and coupling rods, I shall have to stop here until I'm frozen!" His eyes are wonky.
- When Thomas' driver says "A heavy fall is coming, I hope it doesn't stop us." The edge of the set can be seen in front of them.
- When the narrator says "He shook it, and he banged it." We can see for a split second that Thomas' wheels are moving slower than the background.
- Buzz Books - Thomas and Terence (discontinued)
- Magazine Stories - Thomas, Terence and the Snow
- Ladybird Books - Thomas and Terence and James and the Tar Wagons
- My Thomas Story Library Books - Terence (discontinued)
In Other Languages
|German||Terence der Traktor||Terence the Tractor|
|Norwegian||Thomas, Terence og snøen||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Spanish||Thomas, Terence y la Nieve / Terence el Tractor||Thomas, Terence and the Snow / Terence the Tractor|
|Japanese||トラクターのテレンス||Terence the Tractor|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Terence, o Trator||Terence the Tractor|
|Welsh||Tomos, Terence a'r Eira||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Polish||Tomek, Tobiasz i Śnieg||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|French||Thomas, Thierry et la neige||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Hebrew||תומס, טרנס והשלג||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Croatian||Tomica, Zoran i snijeg||Thomas, Terence and Snow|
|Finnish||Tuomas, Tero ja Lumi||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Dutch||Thomas, Terence en de Sneeuw||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Hungarian||Thomas Terence és a hó||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Italian||Thomas, Terence e la neve||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Swedish||Thomas och Terence i snön||Thomas and Terence in the Snow|
|Czech||Tomáš, Terenc a sníh||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Chinese||托马斯 特伦斯和雪||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Korean||토마스와 테렌스||Thomas and Terence|
|Slovenian||Tomaž, Lozje in sneg||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Russian||Томас, Тэренс и снег||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Ukrainian||Теренц і сніг||Terence and the Snow|
|Danish||Thomas, Terence og Sneen||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Romanian||Thomas, Terence şi Zăpada||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Slovak||Thomas, Terenc a sneh||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Serbian||Tomas, Terens i sneg||Thomas, Terence and the Snow|
|Thai||โธมัสติดกองหิมะ||Thomas Caught the Snow|
Home Media Releases
|Season 1||Season 2 >>|
|#01||Thomas and Gordon||#10||James and the Express||#19||The Flying Kipper|
|#02||Edward and Gordon||#11||Thomas and the Guard||#20||Whistles and Sneezes|
|#03||The Sad Story of Henry||#12||Thomas Goes Fishing||#21||Toby and the Stout Gentleman|
|#04||Edward, Gordon and Henry||#13||Thomas, Terence and the Snow||#22||Thomas in Trouble|
|#05||Thomas' Train||#14||Thomas and Bertie||#23||Dirty Objects|
|#06||Thomas and the Trucks||#15||Tenders and Turntables||#24||Off the Rails|
|#07||Thomas and the Breakdown Train||#16||Trouble in the Shed||#25||Down the Mine|
|#08||James and the Coaches||#17||Percy Runs Away||#26||Thomas' Christmas Party|