| Thomas, Terence and the Snow/|
Terence the Tractor
October 25th, 1984 (UK)
Thomas, Terence and the Snow, retitled Terence the Tractor in American releases, is the thirteenth episode of the first season. In the US, this episode aired on the Shining Time Station episodes Agree to Disagree in 1989 'Tis a Gift in 1990 and Schemer Goes Camping in 1993.
Thomas meets a friendly tractor named Terence and mocks Terence's use of his caterpillars. Winter soon arrives, and Thomas is forced to wear an uncomfortable snowplough. Thomas shakes and bangs the snowplough so much that by the end of the day it's too damaged to use again.
The next day Thomas continues his work, without his snowplough, much to his delight. Unfortunately, he quickly comes across a snowdrift and crashes right into it, ending up trapped in the snow. Instantly he begins to regret breaking his snowplough.
Bertie arrives to take Thomas' passengers and Terence comes to the rescue, taking Annie and Clarabel away before rescuing Thomas from the snow. Thomas thanks Terence and calls his caterpillars splendid.
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Tank Engine Thomas Again.
- When the series launched on ITV, a small clip was used in the interviews of the Reverend Awdry and Ringo Starr.
- Stock footage from Thomas and the Guard is used.
- In some close ups of Thomas, he isn't pulling Annie and Clarabel.
- When the narrator says "and he puffed on", Thomas' wheels stop moving briefly.
- When Thomas collects Annie and Clarabel, a truck is next to him. When he puffs off a brakevan has mysteriously appeared in front of it.
- Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel are not at the station in the close-up of Thomas' snowplough.
- When Thomas leaves Knapford, Annie and Clarabel's names are missing.
- In the shot after Thomas pulling out of Knapford Station, the end of the set is visible.
- When Thomas says "Cinders and ashes!" it looks as if Clarabel is derailed.
- In the close-up of Thomas spinning his wheels in the snow, his rear wheel seems to be turning directly under the driver's foot.
- When the guard is said to leave for help, Clarabel is smiling. Would not she be worried for Thomas?
- When the narrator says "slipped and tugged" and when Thomas is pulled out of the snow Annie can be seen in the tunnel, but she and Clarabel were supposed to be on the other side.
- When Thomas is reversing towards Annie and Clarabel, the coupling sound is heard before Thomas couples to Annie.