|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book.|
|Thomas, Percy and Old Slowcoach|
September 22nd 1998
Thomas, Percy and Old Slowcoach is the sixteenth episode of the fifth season.
Thomas and Percy discover an old slow coach in the scrap yard. She looks very dirty, but is in perfect shape so they try to help her. Meanwhile, James runs into trouble when his fuel tankers catch on fire. The fire fighters soon help him by putting out the fire. Later that day, there is another fire at the workmen's hut close to where Thomas and Percy were taking on water. Unfortunately, the firemen discover that they ran out of water after putting out James' fire. Thomas suggests that they use the water from his and Percy's tanks. The plan works well and the fire was soon put out, but the workmen's hut is destroyed. Percy comes up with the idea of using Old Slow Coach as the workmen's new hut. So, after being cleaned up, she happily enjoys her new life.
- Elements of the magazine story Fire are used.
- Scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, Donald, Douglas, City of Truro, and Toad can be seen in the background in shots of the scrapyard.
- The Swedish title of this episode is "Old Snail". The Italian title is "The Old Slow Coach". In Japan, this episode is called "Thomas and the Old Carriages".
- The new station at Tidmouth Hault now appears to be a shed.
- It would have been dangerous to uncouple James from several burning oil tankers.
- If the fire was lit by fuel, then dousing it with water would simply spread it.
- In one scene, Thomas' scared face mask is missing the eyebrows.
- In one shot of Old Slow Coach at the scrapyard, Percy and his trucks are missing.
- It would have taken longer than a day to restore Old Slow Coach.
- When Thomas and Percy shunt their trucks in the sidings, Percy's eyes are wonky.
- When the guard says "It's quite a mess", Thomas lurches forward a bit.
- In the Latin American dubbing, Old Slow Coach is referred to as a male.
- When James cries "Help!", his eyes are wonky.