|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the DVD or the rolling stock'.|
- “James, I think trucks like to be useful, rather than clean!”
- ―Thomas teasing James
Thomas' New Trucks is the nineteenth episode of the ninth season.
Thomas and James become competitive about keeping their trucks clean, but at the quarry the trucks bump forward and get covered in dust. Thomas orders his trucks to behave, but they ignore him and get Thomas and themselves showered in coal.
James laughs that Thomas will never win, but Thomas realizes that if he uses his old trucks he will not have to worry about getting them dirty. Thomas collects some coal and sets off, but on the way a coupling breaks and Thomas goes ahead of the trucks. He stops too soon, and the trucks crash into him and are smashed to pieces, flinging coal everywhere.
Harvey and the workmen clear up the mess, Thomas collects his new trucks and has the coal loaded into them, and arrives at Brendam without the trucks making any trouble. James gloats his victory, but then is hit by a falling crate of melons. Thomas tells James that trucks prefer to be useful than clean, and the trucks giggle in agreement.
- Bill and Ben
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Dockyard Manager
- Harvey (does not speak)
- Cranky (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Brendam Docks
- Sodor Shipping Company
- Anopha Quarry
- Shen Valley
- The Coaling Plant
- Knapford Yards
- Gordon's Hill
- The Washdown
- Going by production order, this is the sixteenth episode of the ninth season.
- This is the first time and only time in the series where Harvey is seen with his claw. It also appeared in the tenth season Learning Segment, Right Sized Engine for the Job.
- When Thomas and James meet at the washdown, they had their trucks swapped out.
- The sound heard when Thomas applied the brakes appears to be telling that Thomas wheels are slipping while his siderods are brake-on, even though Thomas brakes normally.
- When Thomas collects his new trucks, the background to the left (perspective right) appears to be misplaced and tilted.
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Books - Percy and the Spirit of the Island of Sodor
- Magazine Stories - Truck Trouble!
Home Media Releases