- "The diesel was friendly. James was quiet at first, but by the time they reached the works, they were chatting like old friends."
- ―Deep Freeze, James and the Diesel Engines
The Works Diesel rescued James after his injector failed, and managed to eradicate James' dislike of diesels with his charismatic persona. He then brought the Christmas tree for Thomas from the Other Railway. In Gordon the High-Speed Engine, Donald mentions that there are other diesels at the works. The Works Diesel was later seen talking to Gordon at Barrow-in-Furness.
Although the Works Diesel has not spoken, he is described as being friendly and is impossible to not like - even James, who retained a hearty dislike of diesels, could not help but befriend him before the two had even reached the Works.
The Works Diesel is based on a BR Class 47 "Brush" Co-Co diesel locomotive. 32 of these engines are preserved, while another 30 are still used on the national railway network.
The Works Diesel is painted in the British Rail "Rail Blue" livery with yellow warning panels. He lacks the BR logo and has a indiscernible number painted on his sides in white.
- Really Useful Engines - Triple-Header (possible mention)
- James and the Diesel Engines - Deep Freeze (does not speak)
- Gordon the High-Speed Engine - Fire Escape (mentioned)
- Henry and the Express - Out of Puff (cameo)
- Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (does not speak)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Bill and Ben • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Timothy • Marion • Glynn • Ryan • Diesel • Mavis • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Hugo • Flynn • Winston • Stafford • Skiff|