The Sad Story of Henry/Thomas's Train/Thomas and the Guard is a Ladybird book, based on the episodes The Sad Story of Henry, Thomas' Train, and Thomas and the Guard. It is illustrated using photographs from the television series.
While pulling a train on a rainy day, Henry hides in a tunnel to protect his paint from getting spoilt. Everyone tries to get him to come out, but they all fail. So the Fat Controller decides to shut Henry up in the tunnel. When Henry gets ill, Thomas has to pull his train. However, Thomas leaves the coaches behind and has to go back to collect them. Thomas leaves the guard behind at the station after collecting Henry's passengers. The guard chases after them and Thomas apologises for his mistake.
- Photographs from The Sad Story of Henry, Thomas's Train, Thomas and the Guard, Troublesome Trucks, Thomas and the Trucks, Thomas and the Breakdown Train, Thomas and the Guard, Thomas Goes Fishing, Thomas and Bertie, Tenders and Turntables, Coal, Thomas and Trevor, and Dirty Work are used.
- Some photos from Thomas's Train and The Sad Story of Henry were specially taken for this book in 1988, as evident from the differences between the engines' vacuum pipes from the original episodes.
- This was the only Ladybird book published without a cassette tape.
- Henry with his season 2 face with his old shape.
- Thomas in his Season 2 model is used.
- James with season 2 face in season 1 model.