There have been at least two unnamed red engines featured in the Railway Series.
The First Red Engine
It is implied that the Red Engine, along with the four other engines, liked to bully and tease Edward due to him being smaller and weaker then them.
Its basis is not known, with no outside cylinders or motion. It looks a cross between Gordon and Henry in his old shape with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement.
The Red Engine is painted in the NWR's red livery with yellow and black lining. He has red wheels and a black dome.
- The Three Railway Engines (does not speak; not named)
- The character was created by Wilbert Awdry, but was never featured in any other stories for unknown reasons.
The Second Red Engine
He seems to be of a helpful persona, as he tried to push Henry from the tunnel without any fuss.
He is based on the L&YR Class 25 with an added pony truck and a Fowler tender, very much like James.
The Red Engine is painted in the NWR's red livery with yellow and black lining. He has red wheels and a red dome.
- The Three Railway Engines (does not speak)
- He was originally drawn to be James as a goof. However, children wrote to the Reverend asking why James was red before he got painted in the third book. The Reverend then decided that the Red Engine was a different character altogether.
- His role in The Sad Story of Henry was replaced by Thomas when the story was adapted into the television series.
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|