- "It's not fair..."
- ―Thomas and Gordon at Tidmouth Sheds.
The Other Side of the Mountain is the twenty-third episode of the nineteenth season.
Thomas enjoys nothing more than racing Bertie on his branch line, but one day, Thomas discovers that Bertie is not travelling along with him on the road. He eventually meets up with him at Ffarquhar and Bertie explains that he had to take a different route which is on the other side of the mountain, since men were reconstructing the route he usually takes. Bertie tells Thomas that there are beautiful trees, sparkling waterfalls and a rainbow. Thomas wonders if what Bertie says is true, but is sad to know that he cannot see it all since his rails will not guide him to the other side of the mountain.
Throughout Thomas' journeys, Bertie constantly teases Thomas with the fact that he cannot see what is on the other side of the mountain and everyone tries to convince Thomas that Bertie is making it all up.
However, the next day, when Thomas meets Bertie at the level crossing with a goods train, Bertie tries to tell Thomas that what he said is not made up, but before he could explain what he meant, Thomas puffs away in a very bad temper, believing that Bertie was teasing him all along. Thomas is so cross that he did not realise that he passed a red signal and the signalman warns Thomas that he will have a collision with Toby. Thomas tries to stop, but the troublesome trucks push him into a set of points that are set against him, derailing him and causing him to run through the countryside close by the road. The Fat Controller arrives at the scene and is very cross.
Butch arrives to take Thomas to the Steamworks by road, since he derailed far away from the tracks. He then takes him to what apparently is the route Bertie was taking all along and Thomas soon discovers that the "junglely trees, the sparkling waterfalls and the rainbow" on the other side of the mountain was actually a billboard. He then apologises to Bertie at the Steamworks and learns that he was not making it all up after all.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- A Signalman
- Victor (does not speak)
- Harold (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Jack (cameo)
- The Teacher (cameo)
- The Lady with the Big Hat (cameo)
- The Ginger-haired Boy (cameo)
- The Knapford Stationmaster (cameo)
- Sodor China Clay Company
- Brendam Docks
- Bluff's Cove
- The Fenland Track
- Thomas' Branch Line
- Road and Rail Runby and Road Bridge
- The Windmill
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Sodor Steamworks
- John Hasler as Thomas
- Keith Wickham as Gordon, Bertie, Sir Topham Hatt and A Signalman
- Nigel Pilkington as Percy
- Teresa Gallagher as Emily, Annie and Clarabel
- Matt Wilkinson as Butch and Kevin
- Joseph May as Thomas
- Kerry Shale as Gordon and Kevin
- Christopher Ragland as Percy
- Jules de Jongh as Emily
- Teresa Gallagher as Annie and Clarabel
- Keith Wickham as Bertie, Sir Topham Hatt and A Signalman
- Steven Kynman as Butch
- A remix of Bertie's theme originally composed by Mike O'Donnell and Junior Campbell can be heard near the beginning of the episode.
- This episode marks the first of a few things:
- The first episode since the twelfth season episode, Percy and the Bandstand, where a member of the Sodor Construction Company, in this instance Jack, appears in an episode in the main television series.
- Jack's first appearance since King of the Railway.
- The first appearance of a Dyson lorry wellwagon in CGI.
- David Bedella is credited in the UK credits despite none of his characters speaking in that dub.
In Other Languages
|Japanese||やまのむこうがわ||The Other Side of the Mountain|
|Dutch||De Andere Kant van de Berg||The Other Side of the Mountain|
|Spanish||Al otro lado de la montaña||To the Other Side of the Mountain|
|Polish||Po Drugiej Stronie Góry||On the Other Side of the Mountain|
|Portuguese||O outro lado da montanha||The Other Side of the Mountain|
|Romanian||De Cealaltă Parte a Muntelui||The Other Side of the Mountain|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 18||Season 19||Season 20 >>|
|#01||Who's Geoffrey?||#10||Snow Place Like Home||#19||The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead|
|#02||The Truth About Toby||#11||The Beast of Sodor||#20||Philip to the Rescue|
|#03||Lost Property||#12||A Cranky Christmas||#21||Thomas the Babysitter|
|#04||Henry Spots Trouble||#13||Diesel's Ghostly Christmas Part One||#22||Rocky Rescue|
|#05||Toad and the Whale||#14||Diesel's Ghostly Christmas Part Two||#23||The Other Side of the Mountain|
|#06||Very Important Sheep||#15||Slow Stephen||#24||No Help At All|
|#07||Salty All At Sea||#16||Two Wheels Good||#25||Goodbye Fat Controller|
|#08||Den and Dart||#17||Reds vs. Blues||#26||Wild Water Rescue|
|#09||Helping Hiro||#18||Best Engine Ever|