This page is for minor vehicle characters who have appeared in the Railway Series and Thomas & Friends. These characters were either unseen and only mentioned, or simply appeared as background characters without any speaking roles and were nameless.
In the sixth illustration of Steamroller, a blue car with the number plate JTK 62 can be seen. This references both the initials of the illustrator, John T. Kenney, and the year in which the book was published, 1962.
JTK 62 is based on a 1962 Wolseley.
Once, Willie and his tractor were late to deliver a load of wool, and he did not secure the bales properly. Unfortunately, due to Willie's carelessness and an overloaded trailer, the load slipped onto the line, causing Rex to crash into it and derail.
Willie's tractor is based on a Ford 5000 tractor. Several other tractors share the same basis.
In the Railway Series, the tractor had headlights, resembling eyes.
Willie's tractor is painted blue in the Railway Series, while it is painted green in the television series.
- “Bulgy's friend has come, he's red and rude too! He's taking Bulgy's passengers home, so as to leave him free to steal ours!”
- ―Oliver to Duck
Bulgy's Friend is a red double-decker bus that is one of Bulgy's close friends, although he was not seen in the railway series or the television series, he did appear in the My Thomas Story Library, Bulgy, however, he appeared to be faceless.
Bulgy's friend is based on an AEC Bridgemaster bus, like Bulgy.
Bulgy's friend is painted similar to Bulgy, red and cream, though he has a light grey middle section.
- 1996 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection (mentioned)
- 2003 - Bulgy (does not speak; faceless)
The Orange Caterpillar Crane
|This article is about the Railway Series crane. You may be looking for the television series cranes.|
When the water level in a stream near Hackenbeck rose to a dangerous level, the wooden bridge across the stream started to break apart and eventually collapsed. The line was closed down whilst the bridge was in progress of being mended, some workmen and the orange caterpillar crane owned by them helped to mend the broken bridge.
The orange caterpillar crane is painted dark orange with black lining.
- “I'd build a road along your old tracks. Nothing to it. My mates have done it all over the place!”
- ―George to Daisy, Thomas Comes Home
George's Friends are steamrollers and friends of George. Like George, they are anti-rail and are known for ripping up railway lines and turning them into roads.
Nancy and Violet
|This article is about 'the boat'. You may be looking for the human character.|
- Nancy and Violet were built by Wilbert Awdry's brother, George Awdry.
- They never appeared in any of the Railway Series stories, but were in Awdry's model railway scrapbook, as part of the Awdry Study at Narrow Gauge Railway Museum in Tywyn.
The One-eyed Truck
- “...the one-eyed truck still wanders the forest, blowing his whistle and looking for a headlamp. Maybe he wants yours!”
The One-eyed Truck is a ghost Kelly told a story about.
According to the tale, it was an old steam truck who had one of his headlamps stolen by a loader. The loader managed to get away, but, according to legend, the one-eyed truck still haunts Maithwaite Forest looking for a new headlamp.
After teasing Alfie and Percy about the story, Max and Monty were sent to dump some dirt at Maithwaite Forest. They heard a shrill whistle and saw a single headlamp, becoming convinced that it was the one-eyed truck. They ran away in fright, but soon they felt silly when they realised it was Thomas.
- The one-eyed truck is based on the fable tale about "the One-eyed Jack".
- “...the one-eyed truck chased the loader into the deepest and darkest part of the forest...”
According to the tale, the loader had stolen a headlamp from the one-eyed truck. The one-eyed truck chased the loader into the deepest and darkest part of Maithwaite Forest. Luckily, the loader managed to get away, but, according to legend, the one-eyed truck still haunts the forest looking for a new headlamp.
The Chinese Caterpillar Crane
The crane is painted yellow with a black roof.
The Chinese Helicopter
The Chinese Helicopter is a rescue helicopter that works in China.
The helicopter is painted red and white.
The Chinese Cargo Ship
The Chinese Cargo Ship is a cargo ship that Thomas once met on his visit to China.
The cargo ship is painted white, red and grey.