|This article is about the vehicles. You may be looking for the episode.|
The Horrid Lorries, individually referred to as Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and Lorry 3 are three small lorries. Thomas later nicknamed them "Smashed, Broken and Sunk".
When Percy was late one day, Cranky suggested that a lorry could do his work. True to his word (and delight), three red, incredibly rude lorries arrived the next day. Lorry 2 called Percy a lump of steaming scrap iron. Lorry 1 called Percy a "little green goblin on wheels", told him he would be scrapped, and insulted Thomas and James.
At the quarry, Toby encountered Lorry 2, who told Toby that he belonged in a museum and also told him to "toodle off", saying that Toby wasn't useful. Toby tried to find work at the mill, but Lorry 3 was already. He says that the three lorries are doing the "slow" engines' work now. The foreman says that times are changing.
Of course, all three got their comeuppance in due course: Lorry 2 fell off a mountainside (in front of Toby; Percy ironically echoed the "steaming scrap iron" line to him), Lorry 3 broke down after being overloaded with flour (Toby brings up the usefulness insult), and Lorry 1 reversed into the sea. They were sent away and never returned. Due to the impact of their damage, they were nicknamed "Smashed", "Broken", and "Sunk" by Thomas.
The Lorries were pompous, mean, and rude towards the engines. They believed that the railway was inferior to the roadways, and also enjoyed teasing the engines' for their appearances.
The lorries seem to be based on Foden OG range lorries, which were once a common sight around railway yards.
The Horrid Lorries are painted a brownish-red. They sometimes have grey tarpaulins over their beds.
- After their episode, the lorry models had their faces and registration plates removed and were used as props. Faceless Horrid Lorry models are on display at Drayton Manor.
- A fourth Horrid Lorry, painted yellow, is seen at the crossing in the book, Thomas and Toby. A green Horrid Lorry can also be found on an official 65th anniversary board game. In addition, on an earlier board game, while Lorry 1 is painted red, Lorries 2 and 3 are painted yellow and green respectively. There is also a 'Lorry 4' painted blue.
- The Official Website, as well as various magazine articles and file facts, state that the Lorries were "especially built to work at Sodor Construction Company". It is therefore possible that they may have been originally intended to be a part of the Pack.
- A similar looking lorry appeared in the magazine story, The Carnival. However, this Lorry was introduced four months before the fifth season episode, Horrid Lorry, in which the Horrid Lorries made their debut appearances.
- ERTL (all three; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (all three; discontinued)
- Take Along (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- My First Thomas (Lorry 1)
- Nakayoshi (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (all three; discontinued)