|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story.|
|The Grand Opening|
December 6th, 2003
The Grand Opening is the twenty-first episode of the seventh season.
Skarloey is often late doing maintenance work and the Fat Controller is cross and worried that he may be late for the grand opening of Rumblin Bridge station. On the day of the grand opening, Lady Hatt and the Fat Controller charter the hot air balloon to take them to Rumblin Bridge, but the balloon's burner runs out of fuel and the balloon falls into a tree. Luckily, Skarloey, who is as late as ever, is nearby and the Hatts hitch a ride with him to the station.
- Peter Sam
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Lady Hatt
- Harold (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Duncan (cameo)
- Annie (cameo)
- Tiger Moth (cameo)
- Rumblin Bridge
- Sodor Castle
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- The Skarloey Railway Viaduct (deleted scene)
- Stock footage from Something Fishy is used.
- The Danish title for this episode is "The Opening Ceremony". In Japan, this episode is called "Product will Opened With Balloon".
- Skarloey is extremely out of character.
- When Skarloey puffs into the station at the beginning, the puffing sound does not match the speed at which he is travelling.
- When the Fat Controller says "The wind direction is perfect", his arm slowly slides downward.
- When Skarloey approaches a level crossing, a man can be seen on the far left as a blue tractor passes over the crossing.
- Skarloey's brakevan is referred to as a box car in the UK narration.
- The Skarloey Railway is incorrectly referred to as the Mountain Railway.
- The pilot is smiling when the hot air balloon's flame goes out when he should be scared.
- The steam platform is visible when Skarloey arrives at Rumblin Bridge.
- Lady Hatt (as balloon starts to fall): I want to get off!
- The Fat Controller: Not now, dear.