The Good Old Days is a 2001 annual story.
Duke scolds Thomas for being cheeky to Gordon and tries to teach him about co-operation and teamwork. Thomas puts Duke's teachings into practice when the old engine fails and Thomas helps to choose the right engine to pull "The Picnic" in his place.
- Peter Sam
- Rheneas (does not speak)
- Sir Handel (does not speak)
- Duncan (does not speak)
- Gordon (mentioned)
- Peter Sam has his old funnel.
- Duke's running board is light grey.
- All the engines' coupling hooks are grey.
- "The Picnic" was a train run on the Mid Sodor Railway, but the story takes place on the Skarloey Railway, and "The Picnic" does not exist anymore.
- Rheneas has a red livery, but here he is depicted with a purplish-reddish-hint-of-brownish color