|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the 2010, 2012 or|
- “What's that noise, boss?"
"Who knows, Kevin, who knows? Some early bird!”
- ―Kevin and Victor
The Early Bird is the sixth episode of the thirteenth season.
Percy is at the Sodor Steamworks for repairs, so the Fat Controller puts Thomas in charge of the mail run. Thomas is excited to do it, but Gordon tells him to ask Percy for advice on how to do it. Thomas ignores Gordon and heads back to Tidmouth Sheds.
Early next morning, Thomas delivers mail to the Quarry, Brendam Docks, and Steamworks. To alert managers at each location, he blows his whistle loudly, and unknowingly wakes up Mavis, Cranky, Victor, and Kevin. On his way back, Thomas is surprised to see Mavis and Cranky making mistakes with their work, unaware that they've fallen asleep as a result of being woken too early.
When Thomas returns to Tidmouth Sheds, the Fat Controller scolds him for blowing his whistle too loudly as Mavis and Cranky have made mistakes. Thomas feels bad. However, he's given a second chance to take the train again as Percy is still under repair. Gordon overhears the conversation, and recommends, again, that Thomas should ask Percy for advice. This time, Thomas puffs to the Steamworks to ask Percy, and he tells Thomas to deliver the mail quietly and to not blow his whistle this time.
So when Thomas takes his second mail train, he quietly makes his deliveries and doesn't whistle. When he arrives at the Steamworks, he is very happy, and then falls asleep.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Dock Manager (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Shunting Yards
- Sodor Steamworks
- The Windmill
- Anopha Quarry
- Brendam Docks
- Sodor Shipping Company
- The Viaduct
- Knapford Iron Bridge
- Ben Small as Thomas
- Keith Wickham as Gordon, James, Percy and The Fat Controller
- Teresa Gallagher as Mavis
- Matt Wilkinson as Victor, Cranky and Kevin
- Martin Sherman as Thomas and Percy
- Kerry Shale as Gordon James, Kevin and Sir Topham Hatt
- Jules de Jongh as Mavis
- David Bedella as Victor
- Glenn Wrage as Cranky
- This episode's plot is similar to the eleventh season episode, Edward and the Mail.
- This episode's title is a reference to the saying, "The Early Bird Gets The Worm".
- Stock footage from Hero of the Rails is used.
- This is the only episode written by David Richard Fox.
- Thomas and Gordon wait at a level crossing, but nothing passes by. Then, when a car does approach, the gates close.
- As Thomas puffs away from Mavis' shed, you can see that the track she is on ends abruptly.
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 12||Season 13||Season 14 >>|
|#01||Creaky Cranky||#08||Thomas and the Pigs||#15||Splish Splash Splosh|
|#02||The Lion of Sodor||#09||Time for a Story||#16||The Biggest Present of All|
|#03||Tickled Pink||#10||Percy's Parcel||#17||Snow Tracks|
|#04||Double Trouble (Season 13)||#11||Toby's New Whistle||#18||Henry's Good Deeds|
|#05||Slippy Sodor||#12||A Blooming Mess||#19||Buzzy Bees|
|#06||The Early Bird||#13||Thomas and the Runaway Kite||#20||Hiro Helps Out|
|#07||Play Time||#14||Steamy Sodor||