The Best Smile is a rhyming magazine story.
Sir Topham Hatt is holding a competition to see who has the best smile. James has a great smile, but Henry is sure his is better. Bill and Ben find it very hard to keep a straight face and Bertie thinks his smile is best because it is accompanied by a cheery hoot on his horn. Toby can always be found smiling, but it's Caroline who wins the Fat Controller's prize!
- James (does not speak)
- Toby (does not speak)
- Bill and Ben (do not speak)
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Caroline (does not speak)
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- In the final illustration, Caroline could be coloured in by the reader.
- Toby's side-plate is red.