|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the episode or the cinematographer.|
Terence is a crawler tractor.
Bio in the Railway Series
Thomas insulted Terence for having caterpillar tracks, but regretted it after Terence pulled him from a snowdrift.
Terence was helping build a barn on the day Victoria was sent back to Thomas' Branch Line. After swerving for a boulder by the Hackenbeck tunnel his trailer fell down the cutting and balanced dangerously on a tree.
Terence the tractor is an assertive, orange tractor with caterpillar tracks that the engines find very unusual. But Terence is very capable of proving that he does not need rails and that his tracks allow him to go practically anywhere. He takes any teasing in the name of fun and is happy to get on with his job, usually partaking in agricultural work. But Terence never hesitates to assist in emergencies or sticky situations, road or rail, due to his helpful, forgiving nature. His tracks are particularly invaluable in harsh winter conditions when snow can affect transport across the Island. He may be slow, but he is versatile, adaptable, and helpful. He can usually be found transporting agricultural produce or cheerily ploughing fields beside Thomas's branch line.
Terence is based on a 1934 vintage Caterpillar Model Seventy - the largest, and last, design of petrol-powered tractors in Caterpillar's range.
Terence is painted orange with grey caterpillars and a black engine and exhaust pipe.
- Yasuhiko Kawazu (Japan)
- Terence is drawn with a cab, but without his widow's peak in Thomas's Christmas Party.
- Terence's television model is currently on display at Drayton Manor. His plough has been broken since the display opened.
- Terence has a detachable plough.
- Terence never had any eyebrows in the television series.
- Terence never had an eye mechanism until The Great Discovery.
- According to a magazine article, he sometimes works on Farmer Trotter's Pig Farm.
- In some merchandising and books, Terence's name is sometimes misspelt as "Terrance".
- In the 1996 annual story, James Gets Cracking, Terence's driver was revealed to be named Farmer Finney. However, he has been driven by Jem Cole, Farmer McColl, and Farmer Collett once before.
- Terence's French name was Thierry in the Classic Series.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- De Agostini
- Brio (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains