|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story or the VHS.|
- "Take care. You might stick too!"
"No fear! I'm not so fat as you!"
- ―Gordon and James
Life has been harder at the yard since Thomas left to run his branch line. With no tank engine to shunt or fetch coaches for them, Henry, James, and Gordon must shunt in the sidings and fetch their own coaches which soon makes them very cross, causing the Fat Controller a great deal of trouble. In addition, while Thomas, being a tank engine, does not need a turntable, the larger tender engines do, as it is dangerous for them to go backwards too fast.
One windy afternoon, Gordon arrives at the other end of the line with his train and heads for the turntable. The turntable is by the sea, so the wind is very strong and unless an engine is perfectly balanced on the turntable, it becomes difficult to turn. Gordon is in a bad mood and is unable to get perfectly balanced, and neither his driver nor fireman can get him to cooperate. After trying again and again, they give up and he is forced to pull his next train tender first.
When Gordon arrives at the junction, a group of boys joke around and taunt him by calling him a tank engine. Thomas, who is waiting at the junction, laughs and suggests that Gordon should "scrap his tender and get a nice bunker." James flies by with his train and laughs as well. Gordon warns James that he may also stick on the turntable, but he claims that he won't because he is "not so fat as him."
When James gets to the sheds; he carefully lines up on the turntable, allowing it to move very easily. But the strong wind has other ideas and begins to spin James around like a top. Gordon arrives just in time to see the whole thing. When the turntable finally stops spinning, James backs into the shed looking rather sick, dizzy and humiliated.
That night, Gordon, James, and Henry hold an indignation meeting. They decide it would be best, after the day's events, to go on strike.
- The Little Boys
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- Bertie (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Troublesome Engines. Much of the exposition at the episode's start is from the story Henry and the Elephant from the same book.
- James' whistle while puffing onto the turntable and after being spun is absent in both Ringo Starr versions, but can be heard in all other versions.
- Despite aiming to avoid using this term in the American script, this episode is the first to use the word "fat" in the US.
- A reference to Thomas and the Breakdown Train and a foreshadow to Trouble in the Shed are made.
- Two freeze frames are used when Thomas talks to Gordon about pulling his train backwards and when James is in the shed by himself.
- A behind the scenes photo from this episode shows that the Märklin engine was used.
- James' mishap with the turntable is based on an event that occurred in 1900 at a railway station in Garsdale Head, Cumbria, England.
- This episode marks the only appearance of Vicarstown Goods Yard before Journey Beyond Sodor which would air 33 years later.
- When the engines say, "We get no rest! We get no rest!" there are two orange coaches behind Henry, but in the next scene, when the coaches say, "You're lazy and slack! You're lazy and slack!" Henry is coupled up to three coaches. Also, Henry has no crew in his cab.
- When the narrator says, "The big stations at both ends of the line..." Henry is shunting the same coaches as he was when James came past shunting his and the first coach behind Henry seems to have a dented roof.
- James' brake coach is backwards when he rushes through Elsbridge.
- In the close-up of James spinning on the turntable, a crew member's face and arm is reflected in his paintwork and his dome is scratched. Also the wires between James and his tender are visible.
- When the turntable stops spinning, it connects to the last berth on the right, but when James reverses, the turntable leads to the middle line.
- When Thomas and Gordon are at Elsbridge, Clarabel is facing forwards, Gordon's left (viewer perspective right) buffer is wonky and both of their puffing noises are heard before they start to move.
- When James puffs onto the turntable, he is facing towards the sheds, but in the close-up of him as the turntable turns, he is facing away from the sheds.
- In the close-up of Sir Topham Hatt being confused, his hat's brim has two chips on it.
- When Gordon backs onto the Tidmouth Sheds' turntable at the beginning, Sir Topham Hatt's blue car is missing some of its paint.
- In Gordon's close-up, his buffers are crooked.
In Other Languages
|German||Kohlewagen und Drehscheiben||Coal Wagons and Turntables|
|Norwegian||Store tog og snuplasser||Big Trains and Turning Places|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O Descontentamento dos grandes||The Discontent of the Big Ones|
|Spanish||Vagones y Plataformas||Trucks and Platforms|
|Welsh||Troi mewn Cylchoedd||Turning in Circles|
|Japanese||おおきなきかんしゃとてんしゃだい||Have a Nice Day and a Big Day|
|Polish||Parowozy i Obrotnice||Locomotives and Rotors|
|Hungarian||A rakoncátlan mozdony||The Unruly Engine|
|Dutch||Kolen Wagons en draaitafels||Coal Wagons and Turntables|
|Italian||Locomotive Arrabbiate||Angry Locomotive|
|Finnish||Hiilivaunuveturit Karusellissa||Tender Engines' Merry-Go-Round|
|Croatian||Tenderi i okretaljke||Tenders and Turners|
|Hebrew||קטרי הפחם ומשטח הסיבוב||The Coal Engines and the Rotation Surface|
|Slovenian||Težave lokomotiv pri obračanju||Problems Locomotives Turning|
|Russian||Тендерные паровозы||Tender Locomotives|
|Ukrainian||Тендери і поворотні кола||Tenders and Turning Circle|
|Chinese||煤水车和转盘||Coal Waterwheel and Turntable|
|Korean||고든, 제임스, 헨리의 꿍꿍이||Gordon, James, Henry's Underhand Scheme|
|Romanian||Tenderele şi Plăcile Rotative||Tenders and Turntables|
|Slovak||Tendrovky a Točne||Tenders and Turntables|
|Swedish||Stora Lokomotiv||Large Engine|
|Czech||Tendry a točny||Tenders and Turntables|
|Serbian||Lokomotive i okretnice||Locomotives and Turntables|
|Danish||Kulvogne og drejeskiver||Tenders and Turntables|
|Greek||Προσφορών και Πικάπ||Tender and Turntable|
|French||Les Tenders et les Plaques Tournantes||Tenders and Turning Plates|
Home Media Releases
|Season 1||Season 2 >>|
|#01||Thomas and Gordon||#10||James and the Express||#19||The Flying Kipper|
|#02||Edward and Gordon||#11||Thomas and the Guard||#20||Whistles and Sneezes|
|#03||The Sad Story of Henry||#12||Thomas Goes Fishing||#21||Toby and the Stout Gentleman|
|#04||Edward, Gordon and Henry||#13||Thomas, Terence and the Snow||#22||Thomas in Trouble|
|#05||Thomas' Train||#14||Thomas and Bertie||#23||Dirty Objects|
|#06||Thomas and the Trucks||#15||Tenders and Turntables||#24||Off the Rails|
|#07||Thomas and the Breakdown Train||#16||Trouble in the Shed||#25||Down the Mine|
|#08||James and the Coaches||#17||Percy Runs Away||#26||Thomas' Christmas Party|