|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book.|
February 4th, 1992 (UK)
Gordon is impressed when he sees a visitor with two tenders, but becomes depressed when Diesel gloats the Diesels' victory over steam on the mainland. He perks up when he is told that he will never be scrapped on Sodor and that the visitor had two tenders due to the lack of coal and water on the Mainland, but Henry is cross and grumbles he deserves two tenders for his work.
Duck, planning a trick, coerces Henry into pulling some spare tenders. Henry is delighted, but is less than thrilled when he finds they are all filled with boiler sludge.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Flying Scotsman (does not speak; not named)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Edward (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story "Tenders for Henry" from The Railway Series book, Enterprising Engines.
- In the US narration, after Henry says "That water's bad", the lines "Your boiler must be full of sludge" and "Have a good washout, then you'll feel like a different engine" are said in opposite order.
- One of Henry's tenders has LMS written on the side, a possible reference to his model, the LMS Black 5 Class. Some of the other tenders have "NE" on the sides, indicating that they are North Eastern Railway tenders.
- Flying Scotsman was originally intended to have a larger role in this episode, but due to budgetary constraints the entire locomotive model could not be constructed.
- In Norway this episode is called "Tenders". The German title is "Locomotive with Coal Car". In Japan this episode is called "Want Tender".
- Gordon's line "What is this?, 'Educating Gordon Day'!?" was later rewritten as one of Cranky's lines in Blue Mountain Mystery except it being "What is this? 'Ask Cranky Day?'".
- When James first arrives at the coal chute to speak to Gordon, his pony truck is off the rails.
- When James leaves the coal loader, his eyes are wonky.
- A brakevan should have been added to Percy's train.
- Flying Scotsman's second tender is a standard LNER corridor tender when it should be an auxiliary water tender.
- What is Diesel doing on Sodor?
- When Henry bangs the trucks one bounces upward.
- Henry's face is loose when he complains about always working hard enough for two tenders.
- Before Henry comes out with the tenders, look at James; his first wheel is crooked.
- Henry passes Thomas twice while pulling the tenders.
- A camera tripod is seen when Gordon says "Don't be vulgar!"
- Studio equipment can be seen when Gordon leaves Tidmouth.