|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the person, the Story Library book or the magazine story.|
Peter Sam, named after the Skarloey Railway's previous controller, Mr. Peter Sam - previously Stuart, after his designer, Kerr Stuart - is a narrow-gauge tank engine who lives and works on the Skarloey Railway.
Bio in Railway Series
Stuart was built by Kerr Stuart Works in Stoke-on-Trent, England.
After the line closed down in 1947, he and Falcon were sold to the Sodor Aluminum Company at Peel Godred and worked there until 1951, at which time both engines were sheeted for a year until they were purchased by the Skarloey Railway in 1951.
Upon arriving, Stuart - renamed Peter Sam - had many adventures. One of his more notable story arcs involved his funnel, which was severely damaged after an accident at the incline. The funnel was eventually knocked-off as he passed under a tunnel and it was temporarily replaced with a rusty pipe. Peter Sam was soon given a new funnel, a Giesl ejector, which suits him much better.
Bio in Television Series
Peter Sam has always been a cheery little engine. In the sixth season, his whistle snapped right off when a tree branch had caught it. In the seventh season, he helped the Refreshment Lady find a place to put her new tea shop. In the ninth season, he had to deliver a new winch for the incline at night, but got lost trying to find the magic lamp from the legendary engine, Proteus. In result, Harold helped him find his way home by shining down his light. In the twelfth season, he found the statue of Proteus, and took it to Miss Marvel's storytelling picnic. In the sixteenth season, he was put in charge of the Skarloey Railway while Mr. Percival was away, but ran out of coal. In result, Victor came and brought him coal, and fixed Skarloey, Sir Handel, and Duncan afterward. He is currently working at the Blue Mountain Quarry, along with Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel, and Rusty.
Peter Sam, named Stuart in his younger days while being brought up under the instruction of Duke, is highly enthusiastic, eager, and bubbly. He can be occasionally cheeky, teasing, and a little cocky, but is kind-hearted, well-meaning, and good mannered. He can also be prone to being a little naïve at times and perhaps take things a little too literally. Peter Sam has a special funnel which makes puffing much easier, after his old one was damaged in a nasty accident with some trucks that broke free from the incline. With an infectious attitude and high spirits, Peter Sam is almost kind and hard-working to a fault, seldom grumbling about late hours or extra work. He is always nice to the coaches and even the trucks.
In the Railway Series, Peter Sam was painted green while working on the Mid Sodor Railway. After arriving on the Skarloey Railway, he was repainted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery with blue-and-yellow lining.
In the television series, Peter Sam has always been painted dark green with red and yellow lining.
- In the Railway Series, after his accident, Peter Sam received a Giesl Ejector funnel but in the television series he was given a square funnel. Later, when the switchover to CGI occurred, it was modified to a proper Giesl Ejector.
- In the Railway Series and the Television series, Peter Sam had a regular whistle. However, when the narrow gauge engines returned in the CGI series, he had a two-tone whistle, just like his real counterpart.
- From the sixteenth season onwards, Peter Sam's whistle has two valves and budges up and down.
- From the seventeenth season onwards, he has a permanent lamp.
- In the ninth season, Peter Sam gained a tail lamp.
- From the ninth season until the twelfth season, Peter Sam had Emily's Season 7 whistle sound.
- One of Peter Sam's models is at a museum in Kyoto, Japan.
- Peter Sam's French name was Pierre-Jean in the Classic Series.
- Steven Kynman (UK/US; sixteenth season onwards)
- Shinobu Satouchi (Japan; fourth - seventh seasons)
- Satoshi Katougi (Japan; ninth - eleventh seasons)
- Hiroo Sasaki (Japan; sixteenth season onwards)
- Marios Gavrilis (Germany)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; sixteenth season only)
- Gaute Boris Skjegstad (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Marek Bocianiak (Poland)
- "Peter Sam's said again and again,
- his new funnel will put ours to shame.
- He went into the tunnel
- lost his old funnel.
- Now his famous new funnel's a drain!"
- Sir Handel teasing Peter Sam, Special Funnel, Gallant Old Engine.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (talking)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up (two versions; Japan only)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
|Mid Sodor Railway|
|Duke • Stanley • Falcon • Stuart • Other Mid Sodor Railway Engines|
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|