|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the person, the Story Library book or the magazine story.|
Peter Sam, named after the Skarloey Railway's previous controller, Mr. Peter Sam - previously Stuart, after his designer, Kerr Stuart - is a narrow-gauge tank engine who lives and works on the Skarloey Railway.
Bio in Railway Series
Stuart was built by Kerr Stuart Works in Stoke-on-Trent, England.
After the line closed down in 1947, he and Falcon were sold to the Sodor Aluminum Company at Peel Godred and worked there until 1951, at which time both engines were sheeted for a year until they were purchased by the Skarloey Railway in 1952.
Upon arriving, Stuart - renamed Peter Sam - had many adventures. One of his more notable story arcs involved his funnel, which was severely damaged after an accident at the incline. The funnel was eventually knocked-off as he passed under a tunnel and it was temporarily replaced with a rusty pipe. Peter Sam was soon given a new funnel, a Giesl ejector, which suits him much better.
Bio in Television Series
Peter Sam has always been a cheery little engine. In the sixth season, his whistle snapped right off when a tree branch had caught it. In the seventh season, he helped the Refreshment Lady find a place to put her new tea shop. In the ninth season, he had to deliver a new winch for the incline at night, but got lost trying to find the magic lamp from the legendary engine, Proteus. In result, Harold helped him find his way home by shining down his light. In the twelfth season, he found the statue of Proteus, and took it to Miss Marvel's storytelling picnic. In the sixteenth season, he was put in charge of the Skarloey Railway while Mr. Percival was away, but ran out of coal. In result, Victor came and brought him coal, and fixed Skarloey, Sir Handel, and Duncan afterward. He is currently working at the Blue Mountain Quarry, along with Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel, Rusty, and Luke.
Peter Sam, named Stuart in his younger days while being brought up under the instruction of Duke, is highly enthusiastic, eager, and bubbly. He can be occasionally cheeky, teasing, and a little cocky, but is kind-hearted, well-meaning, and good mannered. He can also be prone to being a little naïve at times and perhaps take things a little too literally. Peter Sam has a special funnel which makes puffing much easier, after his old one was damaged in a nasty accident with some trucks that broke free from the incline. With an infectious attitude and high spirits, Peter Sam is almost kind and hard-working to a fault, seldom grumbling about late hours or extra work. He is always nice to the coaches and even the trucks.
In the Railway Series, Peter Sam was painted green while working on the Mid Sodor Railway. After arriving on the Skarloey Railway, he was repainted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery with blue-and-yellow lining.
In the television series, Peter Sam has always been painted green with red and yellow lining.
- Steven Kynman (UK/US; sixteenth season onwards)
- Shinobu Satouchi (Japan; fourth - seventh seasons)
- Satoshi Katougi (Japan; ninth - eleventh seasons)
- Hiroo Sasaki (Japan; sixteenth season onwards)
- Marios Gavrilis (Germany)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; sixteenth - seventeenth seasons)
- Gaute Boris Skjegstad (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Arturo Cataño (Mexico; sixteenth season onwards)
- Marek Bocianiak (Poland)
- Paul Disbergen (The Netherlands)
- Peter Sam is named after former Skarloey Railway controller Mr. Peter Sam.
- Peter Sam has undergone many many modifications through the television series. These include:
- Fourth season:
- Unlike in the Railway Series, Peter sam recieved a square funnel after his accident, instead of a Giesl Ejector.
- Ninth season:
- A permanent taillamp was added.
- Peter Sam had Emily's seventh season whistle sound until Season twelve.
- Sixteenth season:
- His square funnel was updated to a proper Giesl Ejector.
- His footplate and sandboxes were painted black.
- A handrail was added across the top of his smokebox, just like his prototype.
- His regular whistle changed to a two-tone whistle, just like his real counterpart. It also budged up and down until the seventeenth season.
- Sanding gear was added.
- Seventeenth season:
- Peter Sam gained a permanent lamp and lamp irons.
- Fourth season:
- One of Peter Sam's models is at a museum in Kyoto, Japan.
- The Reverend W. Awdry's model of Peter Sam is currently on display at the Narrow Gauge Museum in Tywyn. Awdry's model of Stuart was at the Reverend Teddy Boston's Cadeby Light Railway, before the railway finally closed in 2005.
- "Peter Sam's said again and again,
- his new funnel will put ours to shame.
- He went into the tunnel
- lost his old funnel.
- Now his famous new funnel's a drain!"
- Sir Handel teasing Peter Sam, Special Funnel, Gallant Old Engine.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (talking)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up (two versions; Japan only)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Departing Now
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|