Stephen "Steve" Asquith was the director of Thomas and Friends. He, David Eves and Nigel Permane hold the record for working the longest on the show, with a total of 24 years. He began working on the show when it started in 1984 and left after 2008 when the show converted to CGI animation.
When David Mitton held the director position, Stephen held a number of different positions on the show. These positions consisted of Second Unit Director (first season), First Assistant Director (second season), Production Supervisor (third season), Models Supervisor (fourth season and Thomas and the Magic Railroad), Assistant Director (fifth season), Associate Producer (sixth season) and Programme Consultant (seventh season).
Asquith directed the sixth season episodes Jack Jumps In and A Friend in Need. He then became the show's main director after David Mitton's retirement and remained in that role until 2008 when production moved to Nitrogen Studios. After which, Greg Tiernan took the director's position.
In an interview with SiF, Asquith mentioned that after his work on Thomas ended, he applied for a job as a letter sorter.
- Season 1 (second unit director)
- Season 2 (first assistant director)
- Season 5 (assistant director)
- Season 6 (two episodes)
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 6 (associate producer)
- He, Simon Spencer, Laura Beaumont, Paul Larson, Ed Welch, Marc Seal and Jocelyn Stevenson all worked on "Jim Henson's Contrustion Site".