|This article is about the steam engine. You may be looking for the Fat Controller's grandson or the magazine character.|
Stephen is one of the earliest engines ever built. Newer engines may be faster and stronger than Stephen, but what he lacks in terms of strength or speed, he makes up for with his positive spirit, sense of humour, and knowledge. He used to work at docks and in mines, but now works as a tour-guide at Ulfstead Castle. He can often be seen pulling an open-topped carriage and was trapped in the Ulfstead Mine where he discovered King Godred's long lost crown in time for the opening of the castle. In the seventeenth season, he gave Percy a lucky horseshoe when he was having bad luck, helped him trick James and took the Afternoon Tea Express.
Stephen is a jolly old engine with a positive attitude and a good sense of humour. He is a good-hearted and quick-witted engine, and will not take any nonsense from engines like Spencer or Diesel. Some of the smaller engines look up to him for advice, and he is always willing to get the job done.
Stephen is based on Stephenson's Rocket.
Stephen is painted golden yellow and black. He bears a gold nameplate reading "Rocket". His funnel is painted white with a gold finial and his domes, whistle, exhaust pipes, and boiler bands are bronze.
- Season 17 - The Lost Puff, The Phantom Express, Percy's Lucky Day, Too Many Fire Engines, Santa's Little Engine, and The Afternoon Tea Express
- 2013 - The Lost Puff and Too Many Fire Engines! (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2014 - The Afternoon Tea Express
- Bob Golding (UK/US)
- Rainer Schmitt (Germany)
- Atsuhiko Nakata (Japan; King of the Railway only)
- Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; seventeenth season onwards)
- Stig Krogstad (Norway; King of the Railway onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Piotr Warszawski (Poland)
- Eduardo Fonseca (Mexico)
- Paul Disbergen (The Netherlands)
- Stephen does not have a chain for his front coupler.
- Stephen gained a lamp and a front coupling when he was restored.
- In the seventeenth season episode, The Afternoon Tea Express, Stephen's funnel is black instead of white and gold.
- In the seventeenth season episode, Percy's Lucky Day, it is revealed that Stephen has a lucky horse shoe resting on his exhaust pipe.
- Percy: Did you ever see knights in shining armour?
- Stephen: No! I may be old, but I'm not that old! And before you ask, I never saw dinosaurs either!
- Percy and Stephen discussing the latter's age, King of the Railway
- Wooden Railway (normal, rusted, Royal Bunting, and mine dust covered versions)
- Motor Road and Rail
- Motorized Railway (coming soon)
- Take-n-Play (normal, rusted, dust covered, and talking versions)
- Wind-up Trains (coming soon)
|Other Sudrian railways|
|Bill and Ben • Neil • Sodor and Mainland Railway Numbers 1 and 3 • "Coffee Pots" • Wellsworth and Suddery Railway Tank Engines • Midland Railway Engines • The Little Blue Tank Engine • Mavis • Skarloey Funicular Railway|
|Stephen • Timothy • Millie|
|Victor • Sidney • Little Barford • Silver • The Old Tram Car • The Pier Train • The Cable Car • The Dark Green Tank Engine • The Little Blue Engine|