|This article is about the standard gauge engine. You may be looking for the narrow gauge engine.|
Stanley is a silver tank engine.
Stanley's popularity caused Thomas to feel jealous and later neglected. Thomas felt that Stanley was newer, bigger, and stronger than he - and would take over his place on the railway. Thomas then planned to make Stanley look weak - the trick backfired and caused Thomas' friends to consider him mean and incompetent.
When Thomas later went missing, Stanley was the first to realise Thomas' feelings. He searched for Thomas until he finally managed to find and rescue him. Then, both became friends and with a combined effort made it back to Great Waterton in time to prepare for the opening celebrations.
Stanley was amongst the engines at Knapford who were worried about Percy's whereabouts when Percy was spending his time with the Diesels at the Dieselworks. Later on in the winter, he suffered from a faulty firebox and Thomas came to his aid once again.
Stanley is the "boy-next-door" of the Fat Controller's Railway. Cocky, cool, and cheery, he is a little bit bigger, a little bit newer, and a little bit stronger than Thomas, which, at first, made Thomas jealous when all focus seemed to be on this shiny, new arrival, especially when he began helping with the restoration of Great Waterton. However, even Thomas was soon won over by Stanley's positive attitude, charm, and friendliness and came to see why he was so popular and well-liked among the other engines. As such, Thomas and Stanley are now firm friends. There is nothing Stanley would not do for another engine. And if he could not do it, he would find someone who could. He is sleek, smart, and stylish and his silver and light grey appearance, with striking red wheels and a shining smokebox certainly makes him look the part as he eagerly goes about his work.
Stanley is a hybrid cross of a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST engine and Kitson's No. 5459 "Austin I".
Stanley is painted silver all over with red wheels and lining. He has a red running plate with a dark grey basecoat, and his name on each side of his saddletank.
- Season 12 - James Works It Out, Gordon Takes a Shortcut, and Thomas Puts the Brakes On
- Season 14 - Thomas' Tall Friend (cameo), Merry Winter Wish (cameo), and Thomas and the Snowman Party (cameo)
- Season 15 - Percy's New Friends (cameo), Surprise, Surprise, and Kevin the Steamie (cameo)
- Season 16 - Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo), Percy and the Monster of Brendam (cameo), Flash Bang Wallop! (cameo), Thomas and the Rubbish Train (does not speak), Salty's Surprise (cameo), Emily's Winter Party Special (cameo), and Muddy Matters (cameo)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; fifteenth season onwards)
- Ben Small (US; Season 15 onwards)
- Hiroshi Tsuchida (Japan)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Season 15 only)
- Stig Krogstad (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards)
- One of Stanley's models is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- Wooden Railway (normal, two-pack, and Talking Railway versions)
- Take-Along (regular and metallic; discontinued)
- TOMY/TrackMaster (normal and remote-control)
- My First Thomas (talking)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
- Wind-up (normal and metallic; Japan only)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Mavis • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Diesel • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|