Splatter and Dodge (collectively referred to by Diesel 10 as "Splodge") were Diesel 10's bumbling minions.
Splatter and Dodge are two diesel shunters who, at one point, worked alongside Diesel 10. Diesel 10 referred to the two as "Splodge", claiming he did not have time to say both names.
Diesel 10 wanted to rid the railway of steam engines, and were complacent with his plans, regularly keeping a lookout for their boss and being present when he was scheming.
What happened to them after that is unknown, although it can be assumed they returned to the mainland.
Both engines are simple-minded, awkward, cowardly and tend to banter. Splatter is the more talkative of the two, while Dodge is more intelligent. Although Percy fears them, they do not have the intelligence or villainy to match Diesel 10's. They enjoy watching Diesel 10's plans backfire, but are also prone to making a mess of things. Despite initially siding with Diesel 10, they seem reluctant to destroy a fellow engine, even a steam engine, and eventually abandon Diesel 10 in the end.
Splatter and Dodge are based on BR Class 08 diesel shunters, modified without ladders going up each side of their fronts, unlike the other Class 08 diesels, Diesel, The Diesel Shunter, 'Arry, Bert, Paxton, Sidney and The Great Railway Show Diesels.
Splatter is painted purple and grey while Dodge is painted olive and grey. Both are heavily weathered, and both have their names painted on their sides in white.
- Patrick Breen (original workprints only)
- Neil Crone (final cut)
- Naoki Bandō (Japan)
- Andreas Mannkopff (Germany)
- Ernesto Lezama (Latin America)
- Enzo Fortuny (Latin America; TV Version)
- Louis-Philippe Dandenault (French speaking Canada)
- Yigal Mizrachi (Israel)
- Patrick Breen (original workprints only)
- Kevin Frank (final cut)
- Hiroshi Iwasaki (Japan)
- Klaus Sonnenschein (Germany)
- Ricardo Mendoza (Latin America)
- Carlos Íñigo (Latin America; TV Version)
- François L’Écuyer (French speaking Canada)
- Saar Badishi (Israel)
- A behind the scenes picture shows without their names.
- Splatter and Dodge are repainted from 'Arry and Bert's Season 5 models. The hazard stripes from the latter diesels are even visible under their paintwork in a rare promo.
- In an SiF interview with Chris Lloyd, it is revealed that Splatter and Dodge's models never came back from Canada after the filming of Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- Splatter and Dodge's television series models do not have handrails, yet some of their merchandise lines do, possibly modelling after Diesel.
- In the original script:
- Splatter and Dodge never turned on Diesel 10. Instead, George, who was to be one of Diesel 10's henchmen, turned on them, causing them to rush at him, only to smash into each other and derail. In another version of the script, they were trapped in a siding when Junior, helped by George, pushed a large boulder down into their path.
- Another difference from the original script was that their boss referred to them as "Spladge" instead of "Splodge".
- Early concept artwork shows that Splatter was going to have hazard stripes of some kind along the lower portion of his body, and Dodge was going to have handrails on his running plate. In addition, both were drawn with significantly different facial features to one another.
- Some production made Splatter and Dodge face masks are in safe hands of Twitter user Diesel10TV.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (Japan and Australia only)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
|98462 and 87546 • The Workshop Engines • The Foreign Engines • Diesel • The Foreign Engine • The Derailed Engine • Jinty and Pug • The Diesel • The Scrapyard Engines • 199 • Gordon's Brothers • The Passing Diesel • Other Railway Diesels • King James I • Old Stuck-Up • Alfred and Judy • Toby's Brothers • 8783 • The Old Engine • The Highland Engines • The Diesel Shunter • 31120 • 10751 • Wilbert • Sixteen • Sixteen's Friends • Albert • Bahamas • D5705 • Lemberg • Pretty Polly • The Dukes • British Railways|
|Lady • Spencer • Hiro • Hiro's Friends • Connor • Caitlin • Stephen's Competitors • The Mainland Engines • Gator • Samson • The Great Railway Show Diesels|
|Logan • Sam|
|Ashima • Rajiv • Yong Bao • Vinnie • Carlos • Raul • Shane • Etienne • Frieda • Gina • Axel • Ivan|
|Silver Jubilee • Helena|
|Spencer's Special Coaches • Connor's Coaches • Caitlin's Coaches • Bradford|
|The Flying Thistle • Thirteen • The Fast Mail Train|