The Sodor Steamworks, introduced in Hero of the Rails, is situated along the mainline at Crovan's Gate. It is the repair yard for the North Western Railway, where all the essential components for steam engines are made and heavy overhauls are carried out. The company's logo is a chimney with steam coming out surrounded by a large cog wheel and can be found on their locomotives, rolling stock, vehicles, and staff uniforms.
The site of the Steamworks consists of:
- Transfer Table with narrow gauge and standard gauge tracks
- Forge with a steam hammer
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with Lathes
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines.
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Kevin and Victor to sleep at night.
- Whilst the feature-length special Hero of the Rails was being developed, David Eves came up with the creation of the Sodor Steamworks as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- Although it is titled the Sodor Steamworks, Diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- In the fifteenth season, Henry got his "special coal" from hopper here, however, it was confirmed in King of the Railway that Henry doesn't need "special coal" anymore, so it may just be a normal coal hopper now.
- In Day of the Diesels, the Diesels took over the Steamworks.
- The Skarloey Railway runs to the Steamworks.