The Sodor Steamworks is a large repair yard that specialises in steam engines. It is situated along the main line at Crovan's Gate. The Steamworks is accessible and used by the steam engines on both the North Western and Skarloey Railways. All of the essential components for steam locomotives are kept and made at the Steamworks. Heavy overhauls are also carried out here. Victor and Kevin both live and work here at the Sodor Steamworks.
The company's logo consists of a chimney with steam coming out and is surrounded by a large cog wheel. Victor, Kevin, numerous rolling stock, vehicles and staff uniforms, all have this logo on their livery and appearance.
Equipment at the Steamworks includes:
- Transfer Table with dual gauge tracks.
- Forge with a steam hammer.
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with Lathes.
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines.
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Kevin and Victor to sleep at night.
- Coal hopper on the side of the building.
- Whilst Hero of the Rails was being developed, David Eves came up with the creation of the Sodor Steamworks as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- Although it is titled the Sodor Steamworks, diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- The Skarloey Railway connects with the Steamworks.
- It's Railway Series equivalent is The Works.
- The "Sodor Steamworks" has gone through several changes throughout the years. These include:
- Season 13:
- King of the Railway:
- The area around the transfer table returned to it's original grey colour.
- It was confirmed that Henry didn't need "special coal" anymore so it may just be a normal coal hopper.
- Season 18:
- Barriers were placed at each berth of the Steamworks.
- The turntable gains narrow gauge track running perpendicular to the original (this may have been planned since Season 15 as seen in early storyboard artwork).
- The narrow-gauge track has been re-positioned by a few feet, now leading onto the turntable. On the opposite side of the turntable, a set of narrow gauge points are added, leading onto the turntable.
- In the latter half of the season, the buffers near the turntable have been removed.
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure:
- The buffers return, but the narrow gauge track does not.
- Take-n-Play (three versions)
- Wooden Railway (reintroduced 2014)
- Wind-up Trains
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)