The Sodor Steamworks, introduced in Hero of the Rails, is situated along the main line at Crovan's Gate. It is the repair yard for the steam engines on North Western and Skarloey Railways, where all the essential components for steam engines are made and heavy overhauls are carried out. The company's logo is a chimney with steam coming out surrounded by a large cog wheel and can be found on their locomotives, rolling stock, vehicles and staff uniforms.
Equipment at the Steamworks includes:
- Transfer Table with dual gauge rails
- Forge with a steam hammer
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with Lathes
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Kevin and Victor to sleep at night
- Coal hopper on the side of the building
- Whilst the feature-length special Hero of the Rails was being developed, David Eves came up with the creation of the Sodor Steamworks as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- Although it is titled the Sodor Steamworks, Diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- In the fifteenth season, Henry got his "special coal" from the hopper here. However, it was confirmed in King of the Railway that Henry does not need "special coal" anymore, so it may just be a normal coal hopper now.
- The Skarloey Railway connects with the Steamworks.
- From Hero of the Rails until the sixteenth season, the area around the transfer table was brown, but since King of the Railway, it became grey like the rest of the ballast around the site.
- As of the eighteenth season, there are barriers at each berth of the Steamworks. In the latter half of the same season, the buffers near the turntable have been removed and the narrow-gauge track has been re-positioned by a few feet. The turntable itself also gains a second track, running perpendicular to the original. However, early storyboard artwork from the fifteenth season suggests that this may have been planned a lot earlier.
- Wooden Railway (reintroduced 2014)
- Wind-up Trains
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)