located near Brendam, and is responsible for the supplying and transportation of china clay to Brendam Docks. The china clay workings consist of a quarry, which is known as the Clay Pits, and a mine, which is known as the Clay Mines.
History and Operations
In the third season, the Clay Pits were struck with a large avalanche. Luckily, Bill and Ben were able to help evacuate the Clay Pits before anyone was injured. It made regular appearances until Bill and Ben were relocated to Anopha Quarry in the sixth season.
It was mentioned in the seventeenth season episode, Gone Fishing, that Bill and Ben work at the Clay Pits once again. In Tale of the Brave, when the Clay Pits returned in CGI with Timothy accompanying Bill and Ben. Marion also works here. There were two large landslides that occurred at the Clay Pits, Bill and Ben rescued Thomas from one and another was triggered a while after, which involved Percy saving James.
Two sheds are located at the Clay Pits, one for Bill, Ben and Timothy and another for Marion.
Television Series Only
- According to the official Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends website, Derek now spends most of his time working in the Clay Mines.
- In the fifth season, the Clay Pits shared the same set as the Anopha Quarry.
- In the television series, Sir Topham Hatt is in charge of the Clay Pits.
- Mr. Perkins mentioned the Clay Pits when teaching Archie Higginbottom how to be an engine driver.
- One of the buildings at the Clay Pits was reused for the factory on the Mainland in Journey Beyond Sodor.