Smudger was a narrow gauge tank engine who worked on the Mid Sodor Railway. He was later turned into a generator.
Thomas & Friends
According to Duke, Smudger was a show-off who rode roughly and often came off the rails. Duke tried to warn him to be careful, but Smudger refused to listen to his advice. He was finally punished by being turned into a generator and being put behind the engine shed. This story was used by Duke to lecture Stuart and Falcon. The two engines became "really useful engines."
No information was given about his fate once the Mid Sodor Railway closed, so it must be assumed that he has either remained there, was moved to a different location, was restored back to working order, or was scrapped.
In a following episode Bulldog, his generator shed is visible, but he is not present.
Smudger was a complete show-off and often derailed, but refused to listen to advice. Duke warned him to be careful, but he took no notice until he was put in his place by being turned into a generator.
BasisSmudger is based off of the Talyllyn Railway's Dolgoch, a Fletcher Jennings Class Bb 0-4-0WT. Rheneas, Jennings and Rusty's Ghost Engine (firefly formation) share the same basis.
Smudger was painted dark green with black lining. He had black and brass name and number plates on the sides of his boiler and coal bunkers respectively. Promotional artwork and merchandise ranges have depicted Smudger with either a black or brass dome. Despite being numbered on television, no toy or artwork has shown him with his number.
- Smudger is the only engine or road vehicle introduced between Season 1 and 4 to not get a nameboard during the intermissions. The only other non-human characters introduced between these times without nameboards were Bulstrode and the rolling stock.
- Smudger is the first engine in the television series not created by Wilbert Awdry. However, his Railway Series counterpart Stanley was.
- Smudger’s whistle sound was reused for a few different engines:
- Smudger's Ertl prototype, and a promotional artwork image have Rheneas' face.
- "Smudger," said Duke, "was a show-off. He rode roughly and often came off the rails. I warned him to be careful, but he took no notice. 'Listen, Dukie," he snarled. "Who worries about a few spills!?' 'We do here!' I said, but Smudger just laughed. "Hahahaha!"
- Until one day, Manager said he was going to make him useful at last. Smudger stopped laughing then!"
- "Why? W-w-what did he do?"
- "He turned him into a generator. He's still there behind our shed. He'll never move again."
- Duke lecturing Stuart and Falcon about Smudger in Thomas' story, Granpuff, fourth season