|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Italian DVD.|
After a hard day's work, the engines return to the shed and ask Thomas to continue the story of Duke. Thomas then reminds them of the story thus far.
While Duke was in his shed for many years, he was certainly not forgotten and recently a team of people visited the Fat Controller intending to find and rescue Duke. The team was prepared with maps and knew where to look, so the Fat Controller agreed. Everyone set off to the mountains in a train and began the long search. As the days passed, the search grew harder and there was no sign of Duke, but the rescuers were just as determined to find him.
Finally, the search ended, quite by accident, when one of the team members fell through the roof of Duke's shed, having not realised he was standing on it and age had weakened the roof to where it could collapse. Duke wakes up and asks the men if they are vandals, but they assure him that they are there to rescue him and reunite him with Stuart and Falcon. After digging him out of the shed, they took Duke to his new home, the Skarloey Railway. Falcon and Stuart - now Sir Handel and Peter Sam - were ready to greet their old friend, who complained that they woke him up and started to tell them about the older days.
The two engines laughed at this and told Duke that they were all due to go back to work tomorrow and they could keep Duke in order. Duke pretended to be cross, but he could not be happier to be back at work with his friends.
And that is the end of Thomas' story. All the engines agree that it was a great tale and how glad they are that it really did have a happy ending.
- The Portly Man
- Jem Cole (not named)
- Farmer Trotter (not named)
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Skarloey (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office
- Crovan's Gate
- The Old Mine
- Skarloey Railway Slate Quarry
- Rheneas Viaduct
- Bluebell Valley
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Duke the Lost Engine.
- Stock footage from Granpuff is used.
- Duck is the only standard gauge engine from the previous episode not to appear when Thomas is telling the story: James takes his place.
- The Chinese version of this episode credits George Carlin as the narrator.
- Many whistle sounds are missing in the American version and early UK version of this episode, such as Thomas' whistle at the beginning.
- This is the first episode to use a larger scale model for a Skarloey Railway engine.
- The title refers to the fairy tale story and a Disney movie of the same name of a princess named Aurora who, due to a curse, falls asleep for one hundred years.
- In the early UK version and the US version, in the scene when Stuart and Falcon left, their whistle sounds are omitted.
- In the last scene of Falcon and Stuart, Stuart is tilted slightly.
- In the British version, Skarloey and Falcon have Rheneas' whistle sound.
- In the early British and American versions, when Stuart and Falcon meet Duke on the Skarloey Railway, one of them has Smudger's whistle sound and the other has a different whistle sound.
- When Skarloey starts his journey, he is facing forwards, but in every shot after that, he is facing backwards.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||La Bella Durmiente||Sleeping Beauty|
|Finnish||Unikeon Etsintä||Sleeping Beauty|
|Welsh||Y Cysgadur||The Sleepy|
|German||Schlafende Schönheit||Sleeping Beauty|
|French||La Belle au Bois Dormant||The Beauty in the Sleeping Wood|
|Dutch||De schone slaper||The Clean Sleeper|
|Japanese||ねむりひめをさがせ||Look For Sleeping Beauty|
|Czech||Šípková růženka||Sleeping Beauty|
|Italian||Bella Addormentata||Sleeping Beauty|
|Russian||Спящая красавица||Sleeping Beauty|
|Ukrainian||Сплячий Красень||Sleeping Handsome|
|Romanian||Frumoasa Adormită||Sleeping Beauty|
|Greek||Το τρένο που κοιμόταν||The Sleeping Train|
|Polish||Śpiąca Królewna||Sleeping Beauty|
|Slovak||Spiaca krása||Sleeping Beauty|
|Serbian||Uspavana Lepotica||Sleeping Beauty|
|Thai||ดุ๊กดีใจได้เจอเพื่อนเก่า||Duke, Glad to Meet Old Friends|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 3||Season 4||Season 5 >>|
|#01||Granpuff||#10||Rock 'n' Roll||#19||Henry and the Elephant|
|#02||Sleeping Beauty||#11||Special Funnel||#20||Toad Stands By|
|#03||Bulldog||#12||Steam Roller||#21||Bulls Eyes|
|#04||You Can't Win||#13||Passengers and Polish||#22||Thomas and the Special Letter|
|#05||Four Little Engines||#14||Gallant Old Engine||#23||Paint Pots and Queens|
|#06||A Bad Day for Sir Handel||#15||Rusty to the Rescue||#24||Fish|
|#07||Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady||#16||Thomas and Stepney||#25||Special Attraction|
|#08||Trucks||#17||Train Stops Play||#26||Mind that Bike|
|#09||Home at Last||#18||Bowled Out||