Sir Topham Hatt has an office where he usually works when he is not busy talking to the engines or planning events, located in Knapford Station. This is also where he receives messages from the stationmaster and other people about his engines whenever they are in trouble or need to talk to him. It was first introduced in the first season and has been seen since. It also appeared in the PC games.
In the Railway Series, the office is located at Tidmouth Station, the headquarters of the North Western Railway, although another one was seen at Vicarstown, the previous headquarters, in Gordon the Big Engine.
Once, Sailor John broke into the office and used a stick of dynamite to open the safe and steal the box of treasure.
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office has had numerous modifications throughout the years:
- Season 1:
- It appeared almost identical in arrangement to the Railway Series.
- Season 2:
- In Duck Takes Charge, a picture resembling an LMS locomotive is seen.
- Season 4:
- A portrait of Duke was seen.
- Season 5:
- It gained more furniture and the desk was repositioned.
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad:
- Hero of the Rails:
- It changed dramatically in the CGI series with the walls changing colour from brown to grey, different windows and less furniture.
- Season 14:
- A photo of Henry from Toby's Afternoon Off was seen, though his face was missing.
- The Adventure Begins:
- A portrait of an engine resembling Ferdinand can be seen.
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure:
- Journey Beyond Sodor:
- A large map of Sodor was added to the worktable, which Sir Topham Hatt uses with model trains resembling wooden railway engines, as a means to monitor where the engines are located on the island.
- Season 1:
- Portraits of Lady Hatt and Dowager Hatt have also been seen.
- Plarail (discontinued)