|This article is about the diesel engine. You may be looking for the steam engine.|
Sidney, nicknamed "Sid", is a diesel shunter.
He was still there in the seventeenth season and was often referred to as a Christmas decoration by the diesels, literally being used as one by Diesel 10 as well. Percy asked how long Sidney had been left up on the hoist and found out from Norman that it had been two years. Percy gave Sidney a new set of wheels as a Christmas present, and Sidney is now a really useful engine again.
In the eighteenth season, he, along with Diesel, Den, and Dart hid from Paxton, whom then found them again at the end of the day.
Sidney is a bit of a forgetful engine. He starts his day at one location and ends up at another, not remembering how he got there. When it was his turn for repairs at the Dieselworks, he was hoisted up and had his undercarriage removed. Being patient, Sidney was happy to wait, and wait, and wait. He sat there happy to pass the time with any engine that happened to be visiting. Two years later, he still had no wheels, so Percy helped him at Christmas to get a new set of wheels and now he is back on track.
Sidney is painted navy blue with yellow lining and a warning panel under his face. His traction rods are painted red.
- Day of the Diesels (not named)
In an interview, Lee Pressman stated he recently wrote an episode about Sidney, making him likely to appear in future seasons.
- Bob Golding (UK/US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Raúl Anaya (Mexico)
- Shōto Kashii (Japan; seventeenth season only)
- Ken Sanders (Japan; eighteenth season onwards)
- Grzegorz Kwiecień (Poland; seventeenth season onwards)
- Helge Winther Larsen (Norway; seventeenth season onwards)
- Bruno Marçal (Brazil; seventeenth season onwards)
- Mariano García (Spain)
- In some merchandising and books, Sidney is sometimes misspelt as "Sydney".
- Sidney's horn is actually Paxton's at a different pitch.
- Percy: Sidney, how long have you been up there?
- Sidney: Erm, not very long Percy. I mean, er, I forget.
- Norman: It's been about two years.
- Percy: Two years? That's a very long time.
- Sidney: Yeah, I'm waiting for my wheels. I think the order's been misplaced.
- Wooden Railway (normal and Holiday Special version, both discontinued)
- Minis (Classic, Chillin' and sweets)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford