The first season of the television series aired in 1984. Ringo Starr narrated all twenty-six episodes in the UK and twenty-five in the US, with George Carlin later re-narrating the entire season for the US.
- Thomas and Gordon/Thomas Gets Tricked - Gordon gets revenge on Thomas for teasing him.
- Edward and Gordon/Edward Helps Out - Edward is let out of the shed and helps Gordon up a hill.
- The Sad Story of Henry/Come Out, Henry! - Henry stops in a tunnel for fear the rain will spoil his paint and gets bricked in.
- Edward, Gordon and Henry/Henry to the Rescue - Gordon breaks down and Henry is the only one who can help.
- Thomas' Train/A Big Day for Thomas - Thomas gets the chance to pull his very own train with surprising results.
- Thomas and the Trucks/Trouble for Thomas - Thomas learns why trucks are troublesome.
- Thomas and the Breakdown Train/Thomas Saves the Day - Thomas helps James after an accident.
- James and the Coaches/James Learns a Lesson - James has a series of misfortunes with top hats and coaches.
- Troublesome Trucks/Foolish Freight Cars - James is let out of the shed to pull a goods train.
- James and the Express/A Proud Day for James - James is honored when he is given the Express.
- Thomas and the Guard/Thomas and the Conductor - Thomas forgets his guard at the junction.
- Thomas Goes Fishing - Thomas wants to go fishing.
- Thomas, Terence and the Snow/Terence the Tractor - Thomas sticks in a snowdrift and has to be helped by Terence.
- Thomas and Bertie/Thomas and Bertie's Great Race - Thomas has a race with a cheeky bus called Bertie.
- Tenders and Turntables - Gordon and James have turntable trouble.
- Trouble in the Shed - The big engines go on strike and so the Fat Controller buys a tank engine named Percy to help.
- Percy Runs Away - Percy is startled by Gordon and runs away.
- Coal/Henry's Special Coal - Henry is sick and needs special Welsh coal.
- The Flying Kipper - Henry has a nasty accident whilst pulling "The Flying Kipper".
- Whistles and Sneezes - Gordon has problems with his whistle, whilst Henry pays out some boys for dropping stones on him.
- Toby and the Stout Gentleman/Toby the Tram Engine - The Fat Controller meets a friendly tram engine named Toby.
- Thomas in Trouble/Thomas Breaks the Rules - Thomas gets in trouble with the police, so Toby comes to help.
- Dirty Objects/James in a Mess - James gets covered in tar after ironically teasing Toby for being dirty.
- Off the Rails/Gordon Takes a Dip - Gordon's stubbornness results in him falling into a ditch.
- Down the Mine - Thomas falls down a mine and only a disgraced Gordon can help.
- Thomas' Christmas Party - The engines organize a special Christmas party for Mrs. Kyndley.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt
- Bridget Hatt
- Mrs. Kyndley
- The Policeman
- Jeremiah Jobling (not named)
- Lady Hatt (not named; does not speak)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- When first broadcasted in 1984 on ITV, two episodes were compiled into one ten minute block with the name board sequence featured in between. A year later in 1985, the stories were then shown individually. They were also shown this way on Cartoon Network UK, Nick Jr, ABC Australia and several VHS releases.
- This was the first season in which music was composed using the Roland Jupiter 6 synthesizer.
- The Norwegian narration and the early Swedish narrations credits Ringo Starr as the narrator, even though it was re-dubbed in Norwegian/Swedish.
- In the Ukrainian version, Ringo Starr's voice can be heard in the background.
- This is the only season where all the episodes are adapted from the Reverend W. Awdry's stories.
- This is the only season to be released on Betamax.