Scruff was brought to Sodor to work at Whiff's Waste Dump. He hates being cleaned and, when Thomas once tried to have him cleaned, he ran away and hid in a siding until he was coaxed out with the promise of being allowed to shunt rubbish trucks. He once had to go to the Sodor Steamworks to have his "scruncher" mended and later that day, he helped Gordon tidy up the waste dump before the inspector arrived.
Scruff once had to be repainted and he enjoyed his new look so much that he did not want to get dirty. He then went round the Island, looking for a new job, until Gordon reminded him that he was most useful at the rubbish dump with Whiff.
In the eighteenth season, Scruff broke down at Crocks Scrap Yard. So Samson shunted him to the Steamworks. After he was fixed, he overheard the Fat Controller saying Samson had taken his car to the scrapyards and Scruff told the Fat Controller he knew a shortcut. He then made it to the scrapyards just before Reg could grab it.
Scruff is a grubby little chap, with a lime green boxy shape. He likes to sometimes get dirty during his job. He is more than content with "scrunching" and shunting rubbish trucks at Whiff's waste dump and has few other aspirations. He has been known to run in fear and hide away from things that he does not quite understand and can find having all the focus on him a little daunting. It seems, at times, that Scruff would rather be busily working in the background. However, he is cheerful to welcome engines to the waste dump and happy to have others join in with the "scrunching". He is notably, perhaps, one of the few engines on Sodor with little desire to be clean and presentable. Scruff's main motivator is being able to just get stuck in and knuckle down with his jobs.
Scruff is based on No. 9369 "Musketeer", a Sentinel 100 HP BE Type chain-driven vertical-boiler steam locomotive built in 1946 by Sentinel Waggon Works.
Scruff is painted lime green with dark green stripes. He has gold name plates on either side of his tanks, although his name is only written on this in the merchandise. In the television series the plate is plain. Around his face and his funnel is also painted dark green.
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; fourteenth season onwards - US; The Great Race singing voice only)
- Kerry Shale (US; fourteenth season onwards, excluding The Great Race)
- Jesse Grimm (Germany; fourteenth season onwards)
- Kōtarō Nishiyama (Japan; fourteenth season onwards)
- Arturo Mercado Jr. (Latin America; fourteenth season onwards)
- Christian Greger Strøm (Norway; fourteenth and seventeenth seasons)
- Jarosław Domin (Poland; fourteenth season onwards)
- Jorge Teixeira (Spain; fourteenth season onwards)
- Denis Bespalyy (Russia; seventeenth season onwards)
- Scruff did not have a rear coupling hook in the fourteenth season, yet he was seen pulling trucks. As of the seventeenth season, he now has a rear coupling hook.
- Scruff's whistle is Percy's at a higher pitch.
- For some unknown reason, Scruff's nameplate has always been blank in the television series.
- In The Great Race, Scruff gains lamps and brakepipes on his front and rear.
- "I'd rather be a really useful engine, than a really shiny engine any day."
Scruff, Scruff's Makeover, seventeenth season.
- Wooden Railway
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (Japan only)
- Minis (Classic, DC Super Friends and Old School)
- Collectible Railway
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford •|