|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story.|
- "What's all this about the wrong sort of coal?"
Saving Edward is the twenty-third (nineteenth in Australia) episode of the ninth season.
Edward is losing a lot of steam on his journeys. When Edward is given the task of collecting produce from Brendam Docks, he tells Thomas, who is also going to the Docks to arrange Edward's goods train, not to tell the Fat Controller as he is worried about being scrapped. Thomas promises to keep Edward's problem a secret and he heads for the Docks, whilst Edward carries on slowly.
Once at the Docks, Edward tries his very best to move his goods train, but to no avail. Feeling sorry for Edward, Thomas leaves the Docks to carry out his own jobs first and, afterwards, returns to take Edward's goods train. However, when Thomas arrives at Knapford Station with the goods train, the Fat Controller is very cross. Not only is the train late, but Edward isn't the one pulling it. Thomas makes an excuse that Edward took on the wrong sort of coal, but the Fat Controller knows that Thomas is lying and gives him another job as a punishment.
Gordon is sent by the Fat Controller onto the mainline to look for Edward and finds him resting in a siding. Gordon tells Edward what Thomas told the Fat Controller. Realising that he made the whole situation worse, Edward heads for Knapford Station and upon arrival, tells the Fat Controller about his problem. The Fat Controller reminds Thomas and Edward that honesty is the best policy, even when it is difficult before sending Edward to the works for repairs, much to the two engines' relief.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Big Mickey (cameo)
- Peel Godred
- Hoo Valley Viaduct
- Coastal Cliffs
- Brendam Docks
- Three Tier Bridge
- Centre Island Quarry
- Sodor Shipping Company
- Tidmouth Sheds
- The term "wrong sort of coal" could be a play on the railway term "wrong sort of snow." In winter, some railway staff tell passengers that there are no trains because of the "wrong sort of snow" - passengers just take this as an excuse.
- Going by production order, this is the nineteenth episode of the ninth season.
- In the close-up of Edward's wheels, a red wire is visible.
- In Henry and the Flagpole, the old ship had its mast removed to make a flagpole. But in this episode, the old ship still has its mast, however it is also likely that this episode takes place before Henry and the Flagpole.
- In the closeup of the truck saying, "What for?! What for?!" its face is on the back end.
- A rare photo and a deleted scene from Sodor's Special Places, Brendam Docks (part 2) shows that Cranky isn't there.
- As Edward leaves the siding, the track does not reach all the way to the buffers.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Salvando a Edward / Ayudando a Edward||Saving Edward / Helping Edward|
|Swedish||Ställa upp för Edvard||Standing Up for Edward|
|Gaelic||A' Dion Eideird||Protecting Edward|
|Hungarian||Thomas Füllent||Thomas' Fib|
|Norwegian||Edward trenger hjelp||Edward Needs Help|
|German||Hilfsaktion für Edward||Relief for Edward|
|Danish||Edward i knibe||Edward in Trouble|
|Dutch||Thomas Helpt Edward||Thomas Helps Edward|
|Italian||Il Salvataggio di Edward||Edward's Rescue|
|Greek||Σώστε τον Έντι||Save Edward|
|Portuguese||Salvando Edward||Saving Edward|
|Korean||힘내, 에드워드!||Come on, Edward!|
|Russian||Спасая Эдварда||Rescuing Edward|
|Romanian||Salvându-o pe Edward||By Saving Edward|
|Czech||Zachraňte Edwarda||Save Edward|
|Polish||Na pomoc Edkowi||Edward for Help|
|Slovak||Zachránťe Eduarda||Save Edward|
|Croatian||Spašavanje Ede||Rescuing Edward|
Home Media Releases