There are many different types of salvage boats that live on Sodor. They are used in marine rescue and recovery operations.
The Salvage Barges
The cranes could only arrive until high tide, by the time they rescued Percy it was already dark. Working hard, the cranes pulled a cold, weak and filthy Percy from the sea.
The Yellow Salvage Vessels
These vessels are painted yellow and grey, they are most commonly used when there is an accident near the harbours.
In the third season, the salvage vessel used in the previous season was replaced with a smaller yellow salvage vessel. This was used to recover the China Clay Trucks after Diesel carelessly pushed the trucks to into the sea. In the fourth season, the salvage vessel was then used to help recover Bulstrode and the Troublesome Trucks when Percy accidentally pushed trucks off the quay and into his hull. The vessel later towed Bulstrode to Tidmouth Beach. In the fifth season, the vessel was involved in the recovery process when Henry pulling The Flying Kipper crashed into the bay near the Lighthouse.
- Season 2 - Thomas and Trevor, Percy Takes the Plunge, The Diseasel, and Woolly Bear
- Season 3 - Diesel Does it Again, No Joke for James, All at Sea, and Heroes
- Season 4 - Special Attraction
- Season 5 - Cranky Bugs, Horrid Lorry, Baa!, Something in the Air and Happy Ever After
The Green Salvage Vessel
This vessel once resided at Knapford Harbour. It has a green hull and wheelhouse, cream superstructure, grey frames, red crane arm and a blue and black smokestack.
The Salvage Tugboats
There were at least two salvage tugboats which were equipped with cranes mounted on their hulls.
In the fifth season, one of these tugboats salvaged Lorry 1 after he reversed into the sea, it then transported the wrecked lorry to Brendam Docks. Later on, the tugs were involved in the recovery process when Henry crashed into the bay. One of the boats towed Henry to the docks via a barge.
- Season 5 - Cranky Bugs, Horrid Lorry, Baa! and Something in the Air
- Season 6 - Harvey to the Rescue and The World's Strongest Engine
- Season 7 - James and the Queen of Sodor and Peace and Quiet
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (one only)
- 2004 - A Fishy Adventure
- The salvage tugboats are painted in the same colour scheme as the Z-Stacks' fleet of tugs from Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends' sister series, TUGS.