|This article is about the Diesel engine. You may be looking for the song.|
Salty is a Diesel shunter who works at Brendam Docks.
Salty worked on an unnamed coastal railway for many years, where he acquired his vast collection of stories and songs, before coming to Sodor to work at the Centre Island Quarry with Mavis, Bill, and Ben. Salty was upset, being used to working near the sea, but he soon won the trucks over with his tales and sea shanties, and as a reward for his hard work was sent to work at Brendam Docks.
Salty has shared many stories with his fellow engines that have often come into play later on. He told Percy that the carpet he was delivering might be magic, and odd happenings convinced Percy and Gordon that it was. He also told a story about a treasure on Sodor and Thomas followed all of Salty's clues and eventually found the treasure, just as the new Maritime Museum opened.
Salty is easy-going, friendly and very practical. He also enjoys telling stories revolving around the sea and fantasy. His seafaring ways and accent are sometimes ridiculed by the other engines, but his usefulness almost always helps the others overlook that.
Salty is a BR Class 07 Diesel shunter. The number he has, 2991, is a real BR number belonging to a member of the class; this locomotive escaped the cutter's torch by becoming a static generator at Eastleigh Railway Works and is still working there under the ownership of Knights Rail Services as of March 2007. This class of locomotive worked at Southampton docks, where they replaced the older Southern Railway USA Tanks (Rosie's class).
Salty is painted crimson with pink warning stripes along his body, wasp stripes on his front and rear and yellow buffer beams with signs of rust. At the top of his forehead, he has the brim of a skipper's hat.
In Salty's Surprise, it is revealed that, due to a shortage of red paint, he was once painted green.
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Christian Greger Strøm (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth season)
- Simen Sand (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards)
- Naoki Tatsuta (Japan; sixth-eighth seasons)
- Ryuzou Ishino (Japan; ninth season onwards)
- Zbigniew Konopka (Poland)
- Salty differs slightly from a real BR Class 07; real Class 07s have a crankshaft at the end of their siderods. Salty lacks this feature.
- Salty's model is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (regular, green, talking, oil splattered, and battery powered; battery powered discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (normal, talking, and green versions)
- My First Thomas (talking)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
- Discover Junction
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Mavis • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Diesel • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|