The S.S. Roxstar is an ocean cruise liner, which made various appearances in the television series at Brendam Docks. It was first seen in the third season, but its name was not revealed until the fourth season episode, Henry and the Elephant.
The S.S. Roxstar is based on early 20th century ocean cruise liners and closely resembles many famous luxury liners, such as Cunard Line's RMS Lusitania and Mauretania, White Star Line's RMS Olympic, Titanic and Britannic, the SS Kaiser Wilhelm II and the Kronprinzessin Cecilie.
The S.S. Roxstar's livery is a black hull, a white superstructure, and black and white funnels with a golden star on both sides although its livery was originally white with a golden stripe and red funnel tips.
On the set of TUGS (1989)
The S.S. Roxstar started life out as the S.S. Vienna on Thomas & Friends sister show TUGS. According to an interview on SIF, her model was described as very light as it was made from Plywood, being around 4 feet long. A model maker from Germany built her and brought the model over by vehicle. As TUGS only had one ocean liner prop, her model was modified to make The Duchess and Princess Alice. After the show's cancellation, her model was brought over to Knapford Harbour in the third season carrying the same livery, now under the name S.S. Roxstar.
- Season 3 - Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Buzz, Buzz and All at Sea
- Season 4 - Henry and the Elephant
- Season 5 - Horrid Lorry
- Season 6 - Salty's Secret, Harvey to the Rescue, No Sleep for Cranky, Gordon Takes a Tumble and Percy's Chocolate Crunch
- The S.S. Roxstar was recycled from the Ocean Liner model from TUGS. The configuration used for S.S. Roxstar was that of S.S. Vienna.
- The vessel's name is a pun on the word "Rockstar".
- The S.S. Roxstar has gone through changes in the years:
- Season 3:
- When the S.S. Roxstar first appeared, it kept the same livery as it had from TUGS. It later gained red smokestacks.
- Season 4:
- The ship's livery changed to a black hull, a white superstructure, and black and white funnels with a golden star on both sides.
- It gained the name "Roxtar", but this spelling was later fixed to S.S. Roxstar.
- CGI Series:
- S.S. Roxstar's name is not painted on.
- Season 3:
- Despite it's name gone in the CGI series, Landmarks of Sodor still calls it "S.S" Roxstar.