Runaway Engine! is a 3D book.
One morning, Thomas made an amazing discovery - the old town of Great Waterton. Sir Topham Hatt puts Thomas in charge of the town's repairs. This goes to Thomas' funnel and he wants to prove that he is a really useful engine. The next day, Thomas had an accident and had to go to the Sodor Steamworks. Once Thomas was fixed, Stanley was put in charge. That made Thomas cross! Thomas thought that if he discovered something new, he would be put in charge again. He remembered seeing an old mine and later puffs into it. In the mine, Thomas lost control on a steep hill and flew off the tracks. Stanley went to look for Thomas and soon heard a whistle from the mine. Stanley soon found Thomas and pulled him back onto the rails. But now Stanley had burst a valve! Thomas shunted Stanley back to Great Waterton. Soon, Sodor Day arrived and Great Waterton was opened!
- The book is based on The Great Discovery, however, the Sodor Steamworks is mentioned, which wasn't introduced until the next special, Hero of the Rails.
- The book comes with a free pair of 3D glasses.
- The way Thomas is put back on track is very dangerous.
- On the last page, Stanley's red lining is missing.
- Thomas derails on the right side of the track, but on the next page, he's on the left side of the track.
- When Thomas puffs into the mine, he doesn't have a driver or fireman.
- When Stanley finds Thomas, he is facing Thomas, but after his safety valve bursts, Stanley is facing away from Thomas.